Is this normal!? My dad had his bladder removed about 6 weeks ago, and throws up every time he eats

• 13 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Hi there

I appreciate the answer will be to speak to our doctor and we are awaiting a phone call, but in the interim, has anyone experienced (or a family member experienced) vomiting after eating - since subsequent bladder removal? My 74-year-old dad has muscle-invasive bladder cancer, the entire bladder has been removed and he has been home for about six weeks. It has been a challenge to get him to eat anything, he says he is never hungry and we have to make him drink prescribed high-calorie milkshakes. When he does ask for food, he will eat a little but (reluctantly) and then just throws it all back up. Is this common after this type of surgery, we are going out of our minds with worry (again, awaiting a call from the nurse). I should mention that he is not showing any signs of illness i.e. temperature etc. 

Any stories, experiences or hope are welcomed. Many thanks, and hope everyone is hanging on in there.

Thanks

• Loss of appetite and nausea are common after this surgery, but 6 weeks is a long time to be going without much nourishment. Is he able to keep the milkshakes down? Walking little & often & increasing the distance will help the digestive system recover. Even a mouthful or two of food every couple of hours will gradually build up, so any favourites he fancies are fine to try. Hope he picks up a bit mor soon. 

• I am 71 and it has been 9 weeks since my RC (bladder removal) for the first 4 weeks I ate nearly nothing everything tasted revolting and caused me to vomit  .As they said on discharge little and often .My taste has changed completely and i am eating different foods now . If there is anything he fancies try him it might work >It will improve with time and walking  All

the best 

• Ask your doctor for anti sickness tablets .They work .

• Thank you so much and I wish you well on your own recovery 

• Hi Pineapple16,Welcome to the group.I’m sorry to hear your dad is vomiting.I felt really sick in the first few weeks and had been vomiting in hospital as my bowels stopped working.Eating little and often is best and avoid getting constipated.Hopefully your dad can be prescribed something for the sickness.I hope he feels better soon.It must be very miserable for him.There is plenty of advice and support on here and several of us have been through bladder removal.Best wishes Jane 

• Thank you for your kind reply, although I wouldn't wish this on anyone it does provide comfort to know it is common after the procedure. Thank you

• Has your dad heard from the dr or nurse yet ? Loss of appetite at the start of the recovery is common.I lived off sandwich thins,yoghurts,rice pudding,savoury biscuits,and soup to begin with.Jane 

• He has his appointment next Friday, we did call nurse and they said to try and carry on, little and often. We were just afraid as he was vomiting after everything. His bowels had not opened, but they now have and he says that he feels better and managed, soup for dinner and sandwich for breakfast. Fingers crossed! We truly appreciate your comments, Jane. My dad said he felt less alone hearing them. We wish you well with your recovery.

• I’m glad his bowels are working.Constipation makes everything worse so it’s best to try and keep the bowels moving.That’s not so easy when you are on the low fibre diet post op.It can feel lonely at the beginning of recovery because you don’t feel great and don’t know what to expect.We are all here for you and your dad though so keep posting.Love Jane x

• Hi Pineapple. This is not really a GP thing, you need to call the Cancer Treatment Helpline.