Is this normal!? My dad had his bladder removed about 6 weeks ago, and throws up every time he eats

• 13 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Hi there

I appreciate the answer will be to speak to our doctor and we are awaiting a phone call, but in the interim, has anyone experienced (or a family member experienced) vomiting after eating - since subsequent bladder removal? My 74-year-old dad has muscle-invasive bladder cancer, the entire bladder has been removed and he has been home for about six weeks. It has been a challenge to get him to eat anything, he says he is never hungry and we have to make him drink prescribed high-calorie milkshakes. When he does ask for food, he will eat a little but (reluctantly) and then just throws it all back up. Is this common after this type of surgery, we are going out of our minds with worry (again, awaiting a call from the nurse). I should mention that he is not showing any signs of illness i.e. temperature etc. 

Any stories, experiences or hope are welcomed. Many thanks, and hope everyone is hanging on in there.

Thanks

• Hi

I had this after my op.  I couldn't eat a thing. The food tasted vile.  Everything made me vomit: certain smells; cleaning my teeth; taking meds and eating. It does come to an end although it took me a while all is back to normal now.

I hope your Dad feels better soon .

Love Inanna x 

I know that I don't know
  • Hi Inanna,That’s interesting about smells.In hospital I had some hand wipes and I couldn’t stomach the smell of them or Fortisips.Jane x

• Yes. Taste was a big thing after my nephrectomy. I was ok when having Bladder tumour removed. But after nephrectomy nothing at all tasted how it should. Mushrooms made heave. All i could eat was plain foods and plain crisps etc, Everything tasted too strong. It actually began to depress me. Tougher than losing my kidney...lol

Lasted for about 6 weeks. Then just gradually over the course of two weeks my  taste returned to something like it used to.

Even now some things taste just slightly different to what they used to.

So weird.....Del.