Stoma output?

• 29 replies
  • 49 subscribers

My 2 week old stoma (Urostomy) is producing loads of, how shall I say snot like mucus, which adheres to it, rather than getting washed away into the collection bag. This is making the clean up, as pert of the bag change operation, rather unpleasant! Is this a permanent feature of the ileal conduit, or just because the system is new, and hasn't yet been fully purged, a temporary state,that will subside in time? 

• Hi KidneyBeen I hesitate to wade in not having a stoma nor husband with bc, but from what I have read on here, medics oops on info. They should have told you that the ileal conduit is made from gut tissue. This naturally produces mucus to lubricate the passage of solids along your digestive tract. it will go on doing so although I have no knowledge of how much, in it's transplanted location.. The stoma veterans will no doubt be along soon to offer proper advice. 

best wishes, Denby

• Hi Kidneybeen

It's permanent, but for me has probably lessened over time. It’s still there every day. Mine does not collect on my stoma but I can see it in the bag, in the night bag and in the tubing. 

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Oh Great! Pee I don't mind, but this mucus is absolutely gross! It's maybe worse at the moment, as it collects around the stent coming out of the stoma, making it more difficult to clean away. Hopefully once the stent is removed, tomorrow, it might not be so bad.

KidneyBeen

• I don’t find it an issue nowadays, as I’m so used to it and it has never collected on my stoma. Hopefully the stent removal will improve things for you. 

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• I do get mucus on the stoma sometimes but it’s easy to clean off gently.I think the mucus was worse when I had the stents in.

• Hi all, yes I asked the Stoma Nurses about this, when they removed the stent today.

Whilst is will be a permanent feature, due to the intestine used for the urinary diversion, it should reduce a bit as the new system settles down. Already later today I've seen it floating loose in the stored liquid, so hopefully it won't adhere to the stoma so much, now the stent has gone. This seemed to provide an anchor for it to cling to, rather than being exuded with the liquid output, as this I think came mainly via the stent.

KidneyBeen

• Hi KidneyBeen

Just to say I am nearly 2 years in with my stoma. At the beginning there was a lot of mucus but there has been less as time has gone on

Hang on in there 

Love Inanna x 

I know that I don't know
  • Hello all, 5 weeks in with my new arrangement, and yes the mucus is a lot less now, and doesn't seem to adhere to the stoma anymore, so just gets flushed away whilst bag emptying. Had first meeting with the district stoma nursing team end of last week, Stoma has shrunk from initial 30mm diameter, down to 25 now. Not sure if it will change again, so may be able to think about getting pre cut bags in future, although I've got loads of stock to use up, so no rush.

KidneyBeen

• Hi KidneyBeen

All good stuff, onwards and upwards. I must admit my stoma bags are always cut for me.  It would be a real mess if I attempted it

Love Inanna x 

I know that I don't know
  • I’ve always cut my bags.I found the stoma changed shape a lot in the first few weeks.Glad that you are fnding the mucus less of a problem.Love Jane x