BCG long term side effects?

• 8 replies
  • 61 subscribers

Hi All,

I hope whoever reads this is winning or has won their battle with all this. 

I have just found out after a second TURBT very soon after the first that it is high grade and it is looking like BCG is next. 

It sounds a lot better to me than chemo ever did after having mitomycin that didn’t so anything for me. Immunotherapy is much more persuasive in my mind but having read the older posts on here, it is quite concerning how many issues the treatment causes longer term and I’m sorry to hear the difficulties people have had. Do most of these things go away after treatment is stopped. Chemical cystitis sounds very difficult. I’ve been up all night with frequency with the last tumour and really don’t want that to happen again.  Unless do people use a catheter and night bag do they get rest. Can the longer term side effects be managed okay in peoples experience. Is there ways to minimise it before the treatment starts? I appreciate it affects everyone differently but would be good to know for those who had in years past or recently. 

Even though it’s a massive thing, I think I would prefer to have the bladder removed to fully deal with it, but it seems that a MDT will no approve that until after BCG and when it gets very serious, but be glad to hear peoples experiences on that aspect too. 

Thank you. 

• Hi Lee, sorry to hear you are going through this. It is quite a journey. I had a high risk T1G3 with CIS removed last year and have been on BCG since , with no recurrence of tumour in 18months .If you click on my name i have detailed the whole experience including BCG side effects. so far for me i have been lucky with few side effects, however i am not in work so don't have to worry about taking time off for treatment and tests. I know there are others on here who haven't been so lucky with the side effects, so really there is little i can advise , as its an individual thing. stay on the forum , we are all very supportive and help each other through the tough parts.

Much love Angela x

• Hi Angela,

Thank you for your message. I will definitely look through your detailed experiences.

I’m glad it is all going well for you. 

Take care,

Lee 

x

• Hi Lee, many of us here know how difficult it can be starting the journey from diagnosis to TURBT and BCG with cystoscope and biopsies in between. We learn so much by sharing our experiences. My journey started last November with initial diagnosis T1G3 and after the six induction BCG and a biopsy, CIS was found. I have just finished three maintenance BCG and will have another biopsy in eight weeks. BCG has a high success rate so I’m staying positive and optimistic for a good result. I was advised the effects of BCG is accumulative and I was fine for first four weeks but weeks five and six were challenging and three recent sessions have been tough but nothing that strong painkillers couldn’t deal with. In my experience the cystitis lasts about 24 hours after each session then eases off but of course it’s exhausting after sleep disturbance through the night. I’m usually recovered 48 hours after a BCG.. I don’t know anything about long term effects of BCG but I really don’t want surgery so I’m sticking with it as long as I can… I hope this is helpful 

• good luck to those of us in the BCG club Frank123. I really couldnt face the surgery so sticking with BCG and hoping it continues to work for me , almost 18months now, so feeling optimistic

Much love Angela x

• Thanks Frank. Appreciate it. I’m glad that you’re getting through it and it’s not too bad after the first day or two. As you said it being accumulative so it does seem that those who have had many years of it can struggle more but it may not be necessary for many. Hoping it all goes well for you going forward.  

• Hi Lee,

Welcome to this group.

Had my 15th BCG instillation end of July, so over half way now. It's a long haul for sure, I'm now on 6 monthly intervals with biopsies in-between. Having the 6 Month break helps.

Usually I'm ok after 24 hours, but the urgency and constantly weeing is very tiring whilst things settle.

After installation 12 I had inflammation for a while which caused a bit of discomfort. ATM I still have urgency I usually wake once during the night needing to go. However I consider myself lucky. Some people have worse side effects for sure.

I think it's almost impossible to know what's going to happen to each person individually. Although mentioned by my consultant, bladder removal wasn't really considered and was put on the BCG course.... 

BCG is definitely not a walk in the park, but not wanting to tempt fate I'm hoping my next biopsy in October will be clear again.

Hope all goes well for you when you start your course.

Keep us posted.

Trevor 

• not long to wait trevor, i hope all goes well and you get a clear one . Fingers crossed, I will be thinking of you 

Much love Angela x

• Thanks Angela, hope all is well with you.