Painful constipation

• 7 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Hello. I am almost 3wks post radical cystectomy surgery and the pain when passing stool is so much that I'm close to feeling i need to pass out. Its also causing me bleeding and all this combined is putting me off going when I need to go. I have been taking Lactulose but this is making no difference to the stool hardness. I took senna for a week and no difference. I couldn't manage the taste of the drinks they prescribed. I had 3 enemas in hospital and the last one felt as if it was ripping me apart. I'm eating a lot of vegetables and drinking 2ltrs a day. I am moving but maybe not so often due to the pain. I'm trying to reduce the opioids I'm taking down as was prescribed 5 a day but have reduced some days to only 2. I feel so worried about all this. Will my bowels ever work the same again?

• Hello Crazycatlady37  I two had radical cystectomy, I have experienced the pain of going to the toilet after this operation and I can only describe it as horrific It was my 9th day in hospital when my bowls first moved,  I got cramps in the night, I got to the toilet and the pain was excruciating It was like an explosion, Sorry to be so dramatic but that's how it felt at the time, The nurses new I was having a bowl movement and stayed away and I don't blame them lol I continued to go the next day and to be honest it was a relief! At home I did experience constipation for a few weeks, All I can say with my experience mine did get better and am now going normal and probable better than I did before the operation, Try oranges and bananas they might help, You will get there 

I hope you all the Best  Anya x

• Hello. Thank you. Yes I went in hospital on day 13 but since then it's just been so painful. I'm using the Lactulose but it doesn't seem to be helping loosen the stool unfortunately. I'll try the oranges and bananas. Thank you for that 

• Hi,I’m so sorry you are having this common problem following cystectomy.I found fruit more helpful than vegetables but perhaps introduce foods gradually and see how you get on.I was on a low fibre diet to start with while the bowels recovered.My bowels stopped working completely after the op and I ended up with a nasal gastric tube due to paralytic Ileus.Your bowels will settle down but it can take time.I found prune juice helpful though I don’t like the taste.Sugar free chewing gum can help stimulate the bowels.Cauliflower and cabbage caused pain so I didn’t have those for a while.You could try drinking a bit more.It’s important to move even if it’s just shuffling.Once the bowels start working better you should find the pain improves.It’s usual to get aches and pains but if you can cut out the opioids that will assist the bowels.You are still really early in your recovery and the first month is not easy.I hope the constipation eases soon.I remember how bad it was at the start and I feel for you.Love Jane xx

• Its early days but there is light at the end of the tunnel,  Keep to eating digestible foods Vegetable soups etc 

Anya x 

• Hi Anya,I lived off soup and jacket potatoes at the start.It is hard to see the light at the start of the recovery but we know things do get better.Love Jane xx

• Hi Jane  I never did like Veg soup before all this, Now I have soup at least once a week with one portion of mash potato in it I call it my treat I love it 

Hope things are all well with you Lv Anya x

• Hi Anya,I wasn’t much of a soup lover either but I struggled so much with loss of appetite post op and it was something I could manage.I still eat it,leek and potato is my favourite.I’m ok thanks,hope all is well with you ? Xxx