Bladder cancer

• 5 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hello

I'm not sure if this is the right place to come to but I’m terribly worried. My father in law has been diagnosed with bladder cancer recently, he’s had scans etc and had surgery on Monday 8th august to remove the tumour. The surgeon has said it went well but he couldn’t remove it all due the position, he has said he seems to think the cancer has spread and his scans have shown some nodes in his lungs although this could be scar tissue from previous infections etc. my father in law won’t know anymore for at least 2 weeks when the tumour has been tested but he will need some invasive chemo and radiation therapy. My question is has anyone else had a similar experience as we are so worried about him understandably and we feel we are just waiting with no real answers. Thank you for reading 

• I know how worrying this will be for you  & your father in law. You will know much more once the tumour has been tested for type & grade. There tends to be a progression, the tumour starts in the bladder, then grows through the bladder wall & into the prostate. Once there it can spread outwards to the lymph nodes, then up to the spine & lungs. This would seem less likely & I sincerely hope that the lung nodes are just scars. So apart from type & grade, it wodul be useful to know if it has yet spread through the bladder wall to the prostate. This would be visible in the CT scan. You will have been given details of a urology nurse to contact & I suggest that you find out about the bladder wall & prostate. Try not to worry, although I know how hard this will be, there is much more information you wil llearn once the testing is completed. Allow tears, crying & the rollercoaster of emotions that we all must suffer.

Chemo is carried out by infusion to a vein in the hand as an outpatient. It can take all day depending on the drugs used. Others will be able to details radiotherapy. I had chemo, then an operation, then immunotherapy.

Ask your father in law to consider his diet. Read up about it. I practise a Paleo diet.

• Hi and welcome to the group, although sorry to hear about your father in law. Good to know he has had the initial procedure (TURBT). The waiting for results is always an anxious time. When the results are in, they will come up with an appropriate treatment plan. I went the chemoradiation route and has so far been good to me. Try and keep away from Google as there is a lot of out date and misinformation out there. Lots of varying experiences her, so please feel free to ask any questions. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Thank you Cojee, the surgeon suggested it had spread but he didn’t want to give much detail until the tests had been done on the tumour. He is a very fit and healthy man so hopefully he will fight through this. 

• Hi Rily, thank you for these words they really do mean a lot 

• Hi Leannes,Welcome from me too.We know what a worrying time this must be for you and your father in law.Once the results are back and a treatment plan in place people often feel better.Waiting for results is never easy.I hope you find this group helpful there is plenty of advice and support here.Best wishes Jane