Husband diagnosed with bladder cancer

• 6 replies
  • 51 subscribers

We have been through various scans, cystoscopy’s and TURBT and my husband has been diagnosed with non muscle invasive bladder cancer grade 3. The next step is what the nurse described as weekly for 6 weeks drug liquid treatment, not sure exactly what this is and what the effects are, if anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Many thanks. Jean.

• Hello and welcome to the group, although sorry to hear your husband has bladder cancer. Many of us here have had this and have come through it. Good to know he has had a TURBT and is in the system. There are two main types of treatment for non invasive. BCG, which is an immunotherapy treatment, and Mitomycin, a chemotherapy treatment. BCG is the most common. Designed to mop up any rogue cells and help prevent recurrences. Both are administered in the same way, directly in to the bladder. Kept in for a couple of hours. I went a different way, but we know different people have different reactions. some sail through it, others have some side effects. I am sure people will be along to share experiences. Please feel free to ask any questions. Lots of support here. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Thanks Rily for the feedback. The nurse phoned us a couple of weeks ago and told us the diagnosis, he had to have another TURBT to take random biopsies, he had that on Wednesday and now it’s the drug liquid treatment in a few weeks, I didn’t ask her what that actually was, I’m afraid we were a bit overwhelmed with everything, perhaps an option would be to ring her and ask, I do like to know what’s happening and what to expect

Thanks again.

• Hi . Sounds very much like it is going to be BCG. You can read about it on the Mac support page if you click HERE . Also if you scroll through the posts you will see others having this treatment. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Thanks Rily, you very much are a Community Champion x

• Welcome from me too,I hope you find the group helpful.Best wishes Jane 

• Thanks for your support.