New to the forum today.

• 13 replies
  • 55 subscribers

Hello new to the chat forums as recently have been reading your posts on the forums for a couple of weeks now and only just found the courage to sign up as I found so much support being given to everyone on here , I thought this would definitely help me on this journey.

I am on day 18 of chemo/radiotherapy for anal cancer. I was diagnosed in March this year after a surgery on what was thought to be a haemorrhoid. Very lucky to have it diagnosed at early stages . I am trying my best to keep positive as you have documented that the treatment can be quite harsh and I have now started to suffer from painful skin area from the pelvic radiotherapy and looks like the fatigue is beginning to kick in now. 
I wish everyone that is in my position a smooth and successful treatment path. 

thank you 

• Hi  ,

I’d just like to echo the warm welcome that’s already been offered to the MacMillan Online Community although I’m so sorry to learn of your recent diagnosis. 

You’re already over halfway through your treatment so you know the pitfalls by now but just ask if you’ve any questions you think we may be able to help with.

I’m now 6 years post treatment but I remember the fatigue was a prevalent side effect for me, I presume from the combination of both treatments, my advice would be just try & listen to your body, rest when you’re feeling tired, from around halfway through I had a nap every afternoon after my appointment & still slept really well at night too! Ordinary tiredness you can push through to a certain extent but with fatigue you literally hit a wall & you literally can’t carry on so rest really will be your best friend. Are your treating team supplying you with plenty of creams etc., for your skin if you’re starting to have a reaction with the radiotherapy? 

I hope the rest of your treatment goes smoothly, we’re here to support you however we can. 

Nicola 

• Thank you Nicola 

really appreciate you taking time to message me . I am truly reassured from reading your journey and the fact you are 6 years post treatment.  This gives people like myself great hope too.

I have the creams and apply regularly, will see oncologist Monday and they will check me out and prescribe things if needed.

I’m currently resting after this morning’s session and definitely looking forward to weekend off and seeing my family.

Best wishes 

M x

• Hi again  , I remember looking forward to those weekends so well, no chemo tablets & 2 days off from hospital it was great! It’ll do your soul good to see family too. 

It’s always good to read others stories, to know there’s life after this diagnosis, I too felt incredibly grateful & reassured by others sharing their journeys when I was first diagnosed. 

Have a wonderful weekend. 

Nicola