Upcoming treatment

• 6 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Hi group, I have recently been diagnosed with AC, I went to my treatment planing appointment on Friday. I am waiting a scan to get tattoos this week and can hopefully start treatment after that. I am in so much pain constantly so fingers crossed The treatment helps, I know it will get worse before it gets better. Similar to a lot of people on here it will be the 5.5 weeks of chemo radiation….. so any tips to get through this would be helpful. 

They also said they may need to enforce a temporary stoma if required which absolutely terrifies me. I was extremely against this in the first instance but am thinking if this helps with recovery is it worth it? What are Stomas honestly like?

thanks xx 

• Hi Bellatrix, 

when I found out I had AC they kept saying we will try our upmost for you not to have a stoma, after my biopsy they said the tumour was so big that I really do need one I was really against it I was really frightened I didn’t want it done but when They explain to me that it will be so much better while having your treatment I decided to have it.

Iv had my stoma for 6 months now, it was the best decision I have made, don’t get me wrong when I had it done and in hospital, I was very emotional I didn’t want to look at it, I was frightened to touch it, but when they said you can’t go home till you start learning to look after it, I just grime and beared it within 2 day I was home with a supportive husband to help me change it after 2 days he had to go back to work which left me to deal with it on my own. I just took my time made sure I had everything to hand and did it, as the weeks past it just becomes second nature iv had it for 6 months now, iv had no problems with it, and by going on what other had to undue going through treatment without one I feel blessed, which I never thought I’d hear myself say. 

good luck and if you  have any questions please just ask

take care 

Laura and Dirty Girty the stoma  x

• Hi ,

Firstly welcome to the Macmillan online community although I’m really sorry you’ve had the need to find us. 

I see you’ve had an encouraging reply from  regarding the temporary stoma, many people that have come through our forum that have had stoma surgery have felt dread at thought of it as you’re feeling now but they’ve soon realised that this surgery turns out to be a good decision, it can help with a lot of the discomfort of having bowel movements during & directly after treatment. Also I think it’s worth mentioning that those members that have had larger tumours & have been in a lot of pain prior to treatment have often reported they’ve felt their tumours shrink pretty early on in their treatment although don’t worry or think that it’s not working if this isn’t the case as the radiotherapy can also cause some internal inflammation. 

Our members here are full of useful hints & tips at getting through treatment so just post if you have any questions there’s usually someone around that will offer you some advice. At the stage you’re at now awaiting to start treatment I would advise to start moisturising the area that’s going to be radiated & your groin etc., just to get your skin in the best possible condition, I used a basic aqueous type cream. 

Please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions, we’re an open minded bunch here (comes with the territory!!) so no matter how personal it might seem I can guarantee it’s been asked here before & someone will offer a reply. Good luck with your tattoo appointment this week.

Nicola 

• Thank you Laura, appreciate your reply, it was very informative and has put my mind at ease a little. Thank you, plus dirty girly made made me lol xxx

• Thanks Nicola, it’s great to know that there is people here to reach out too in the same boat.

i will defo look into the cream, thanks for the advice. 

xx

• Hi Bellatrix777
    when I first started my treatment every day I would have an epsom salt bath for psoriasis and dry skin and eczema, when I went to the toilet I would put e45 on the paper and wipe myself every time and then used a barrier cream they gave me, and although my skin turn brown and peeled in my groin area I didn’t have any sores, apart from little area at the top of my bum crack it was a little sire and itchy I took pIriton to stop itching and I used some of my stoma powder called brava powder and it cleared it up. with other people that I spoke they couldn’t even wipe themselves they was that sore. 
    Going back to having a stoma, others  iv spoken to that didn’t have stoma’s was in quite a bit pain when having bowels open and also had incontinence in that area too, this is why I’m so glad I had a stoma. I’m not saying it’s going to happen everyone is different.

Take care 

Laura x x