New diagnosis

• 25 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Hi I’ve never posted on the internet before but I found this forum and know I will benefit from it. I first found a lump on 4/5/21 in my anus, I called the doctor the same day and have been having treatment for very painful haemorrhoids up until 4/11/21 when I finally saw the surgeon who examined me. I was put on a waiting list and after passing huge blood clots I was taken for biopsy. I had the results 2 days ago and have been diagnosed with anal cancer. I am seeing an oncologist next week and due to start chemoradiation  following a pep scan. It’s such a scary time, I am also worried about side effects as I have a 3 year old who I worry about seeing mummy ill. I’ve read on here some helpful tips for pain relief, I was wondering if anyone has continued to work through treatment and is it possible? Xx

• Hi Bec, Hope you are feeling ok and a little more positive from the support on here. 

In answer to your question, I was able to carry on working through my treatment (and driving over an hour each way to radiotherapy) although I was pretty tired in the last two weeks. Fortunately Christmas came along as I completed it, and I had some time off to just lie on the sofa, so I would say do as little as you can work-wise and focus on your self care, but you should be able to get through if you have to.

It is such a worrying time, but I am sure once your treatment starts you will feel you are on your way, and the oncologist did tell me the chemoradiation was quite tough but very effective, and that kept me going.  

I am sure your little one will be ok knowing Mummy is a bit poorly and that her medicine makes her tired, but she'll be better soon. 

Stay in touch, and good luck.

• Hi mrs Vanilla thank you for your reply. I’m having some positive days and some not so positive but I’m feeling a lot better now I have a start date. The hardest thing for me so far is being told I won’t be able to have another child as before I found the lump we were going to start trying. Although this is devastating I am grateful for the one I have and the most important thing is that I am well and here for him. 
    As for work I’m going to take it easy and do what I can and if I need to go off I will. 
    how are you doing post treatment? Xxx

• Hi BecU86, lovely to year from you, Been thinking of you, I start my treatment 21/02/2022, I’m all prepared I think? 

I don’t know what to say to you about not being able to have more children, it must have come a shock, and more to deal with, as though having anal cancer was not enough. Thinking of you. 

I can if you want let you know all the stuff I have put together to help me with my recovery, my doctor has been extremely helpful. Love and hugs to you. XxxxxKissing heart

• Hi Louise, thank you that’s really kind. We start our treatment on the same day! Hope all goes well for you. What have you got to help with recovery? I’ve just ordered a sitz bath and have pain killers but was going to ask the oncologist on Wednesday what else I would need. Take care xxx Kissing heart 

• Hello Bec,

That is very tough for you, I also was only able to have one child (not through this tho') and I really understand how the news that you can't have a second is hard to take. But you are right, we have our One, and for many people that in itself would be a miracle. And of course you are right to prioritise getting yourself well so that you can enjoy being a Mum.

Hope you are able to have time off if you need it - do you have a start date yet?

I am doing really well now; saw oncologist at end of January and he said tumour had gone. I have another appointment in April with him, and then MRI in six months. Do you know if you have squamous cell carcinoma? I think that is the commonest anal cancer, and the treatment is usually pretty successful.

You will find lots of support and info here anyway

Look after yourself,

• I’m starting treatment 21st Feb and yes it is squamous cell carcinoma. That is fantastic news that your tumour has gone! I’m so pleased for you. Take care and thank you for your kind words xxx

• I think the treatment for squamous cell carcinoma is usually pretty successful,  so hopefully you will have the same results. They will monitor you for ages afterwards so you are in good hands now. 

x

• Hi Bec, same for me. I laid in bed for days afterwards crying about the loss of my fertility. Especially as I was in too much pain for egg preservation- but was told I had a high ovarian reserve. I don’t think I’ll ever get over. Some days the loss hits me like a train. But I am lucky to have my little girl - but I can’t help but feel bitter. 

• Hi Arightbumdeal, so good to hear from you. I completely get it, it’s so painful isn’t it and feels so cruel and unfair. But you are right we are lucky we have our little ones and that’s what I need to focus on to get better for him. Here to talk if you need to xx

• Are you ready for this Stuck out tongue winking eyeStuck out tongue winking eyeStuck out tongue winking eyeStuck out tongue winking eyeRoflRoflRoflRoflRofl

Sitz Bath

Himalayan Bath Salts 10kilo to bath bum.Rofl

Catraben cream 1050g for feet and hands, incase skin peels due to cemo, I’m just going to put it on every day to protect my skin.

CosomCol Organge/ lemon flavour ( for constipation when taking pain killers, ( from doctor) 

Solpadol Caplets 500mg Pain killers ( from doctor) 

Oramorph Oral Solution ( for pain when really bad, I’m expecting to use this after treatment ( from doctor) 

Instillagel 6ml ( it’s a gel pain killer you put up your bum ( from doctor ) won’t be using this till after treatment. 

Ginger Root capsules, 1100 mg for sickness during treatment ( will start these Friday before treatment begins.) Holland & Barrett.

Gin Gin hard ginger candy ( to suck on whilst having cemo hopefully help with sickness ( Holland & Barrett) 

Vitiam B6 100mg (Holland & Barrett) 

Tumeric Capsules 600mg x 2 daily ( Holland & Barrett ) 

Magnesium x1 daily ( Holland & Barrett) 

Beta Carotene X 1 daily (Holland & Barrett) 

Liquid Iron Formula X 2 soup spoons daily ( Holland & Barrett) this is to help my blood count as this can go up and down due to cemo. 

i know the above sounds excessive, but everything I’m taking just now above has been recommended by people on this web page for anal cancer.   

I also take 1x aspirin daily as I’ve read that Cancer Reserch are doing a trial This trial is looking at using aspirin to see if it can help stop cancer coming back after treatment. I’m taking it just now what harm will it do. 

I wasn't a girl guild for nothing Dib Dib Dob Dob Thumbsup