New diagnosis

• 25 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Hi I’ve never posted on the internet before but I found this forum and know I will benefit from it. I first found a lump on 4/5/21 in my anus, I called the doctor the same day and have been having treatment for very painful haemorrhoids up until 4/11/21 when I finally saw the surgeon who examined me. I was put on a waiting list and after passing huge blood clots I was taken for biopsy. I had the results 2 days ago and have been diagnosed with anal cancer. I am seeing an oncologist next week and due to start chemoradiation  following a pep scan. It’s such a scary time, I am also worried about side effects as I have a 3 year old who I worry about seeing mummy ill. I’ve read on here some helpful tips for pain relief, I was wondering if anyone has continued to work through treatment and is it possible? Xx

• Hi BecU86, I just wanted to welcome you to the group. I am seven months post treatment for anal cancer and like you I was very worried before I started the treatment the impact from the side effects. It was very worrying when my oncologist went through the list of all the possible side effects and frankly it frightened me to death. After reading some people’s experiences on here it gave me a lot of confidence and that you just take each day as it comes and always let your team know what is happening so that they can help you with creams etc. I have also learned that we are all different and I think I have read on here that someone did work through their treatment but I know that I would not have been able to as I personally had quite some discomfort but now so much better and getting on with my life with just a couple of niggles. I hope you will not have to wait too soon before you start treatment and am sure other members will soon come along.

• Thank you jaycee12 for the kind and encouraging words. I’m probably slightly in denial and thinking I can carry on as usual and I will need to learn to take each day as it comes. 

• Hi BecU86, I’ve just joined this group too, already I feel comfortable here and knowing I can ask anything and someone will be on hand to help is a huge relief at such a crappy time! I asked my oncologist if I would be able to work but she said no and to be honest I’m actually quite looking forward to be able to just concentrate on healing in my own time in my own house without any outside pressure. My daughter is 17 so it’s not quite the same as having a 3 year old! Have you got family around that can help and maybe take your little one for a few hours when Mummy’s “tired”. Maybe someone on here has young children and can advise on the best way to approach it. You’re right about it being a scary time, hopefully we can help each other and make it less scary! Hope you get your treatment plan soon,I’m due to start on the 1st Feb. Take care, Julie xx

• Hi Julie, yes I have my parents down the road who will help with the little one when needed and my husband is here too so I’m well supported. This group already feels like a lifeline reading everyone’s experiences and knowing you’re not alone. Hope all goes well with your treatment and take care of yourself. Keep me updated with how your getting on :) x

• Hi ,

Firstly welcome to the Macmillan online community although I’m so sorry that you’ve had the need to find us. Secondly unfortunately your story is far too common, you like so many others here have been treated for a benign condition for 6 months when you could have been diagnosed & through treatment by now! GP’s need alerting to the fact that Anal cancer is a serious possibility when people present with symptoms such as yours, it’s just not good enough! 

You’ve had a couple of lovely responses here already & it’s great to hear that you have plenty of support around you especially with your little one still being quite young. I would say one of the biggest things for me going through the chemoradiotherapy was the fatigue, this hit me about halfway through, I would have a nap each day when I got home from hospital & I still slept like a log on a nighttime often for a good 8-9 hours which is unheard of for me. The other side effects of treatment affect us all to varying degrees, the main one being the skin reaction from the radiotherapy but this doesn’t happen immediately when you start treatment it’s cumulative & you’ll be provided with lotions & potions to deal with this. You’ve also asked about working throughout treatment, again it’s an individual thing depending on your job & if you could work from home etc., I’m in retail & couldn’t have continued working so I took time off until I was through treatment & felt well enough to go back, I also went back on a phased return, this for me was 5-6 weeks post treatment but again this is very individual for us all. 

I’ll not bombard you with too much more information right now but please don’t hesitate to ask if there’s anything you’d like to know, we’re a lovely bunch here that have all been where you are right now. Also no question is ever too personal, I can guarantee we’ve all asked it ourselves. 

Nicola 

• Hi Bec! Wow, our circumstances are almost identical. I started bleeding in July 2020, November 2020 diagnosed with piles - April 21, anal cancer after losing a LOT of blood and being in a lot of pain. My daughter was 3 when I was diagnosed too. 

I really don’t think you can expect to work through this treatment. It’s very exhausting both physically and emotionally.  Once treatment finishes the side effects are quite considerable and exhausting. I slept a lot, I was never sick or bed ridden really, but I was exhausted and not able to eat a lot because of the effects of the radiotherapy on the bowel. I think I lost 3 stone in the 8 weeks post treatment. The good thing is the treatment is very effective, it’s a sharp upwards trajectory once recovery does start and the long term effects though troublesome - are mild. 

im here if you want to chat to someone in the same stage of life as you xxx

• Hello , welcome to the group. Sorry you find yourself here but you’ll find this a mine of useful information. Make sure you scroll back and get all the useful info and lists etc. It’s all here! Ask us anything, no embarrassment here. I am 5 months post treatment and I was Stage III T4 N2 MO your oncologist will be able to tell you your diagnosis and explain the letters and numbers etc. It’s a scary time but you’ll get through this and we are here to help. I have two daughters aged 8 and 11. Treatment is different for everyone but be prepared to accept help and take care of yourself. You’ll want to give 100% to the treatment so you get the best outcome. Wishing you good luck and a big hug Xx 

• Hi Nicola and Arightbumdeal. 
    Thank you for the warm welcome. 
    I was afraid I’d not be able to work, unfortunately I haven’t been in my job that long so sick pay is minimal, but our health must come first. I am seeing the oncologist Thursday so will have an idea of when my treatment will start so I can plan. 
    It’s interesting that so many of us have the same story, I coped for so long with extreme pain and was prescribed strong pain killers before actually receiving a diagnosis. The only reason they found out was because I sent the doctor a picture of some blood clots I had passed. Not the nicest sight but it was effective for finally getting seen. 
    Thank you for all the encouragement and kind words, I feel ready to start and get through this. 

• Hi pretty pink roses. 
    how are you getting on post treatment? 
    I’ve been scrolling through and looking at all the helpful advice. Everyone here is amazing xx

• People on here are so lovely! Honestly don’t know what I would have done without this group. 

I’m doing great thanks. I started treatment 14 July, finished 20 August so I’m nearly at my 6 month scan. It’s whizzed by. This group will help you through. Xx