Recently diagnosed and awaiting treatment

• 26 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Hi, just wanted to say hello as everyone  on here seems really supportive. I’m 51 with two teenagers (16/14)

My recent diagnosis came completely out of the blue. End of January I had a change in bowel movement, blood in a stool, abdominal pain and a period (not having had one for a year)  I got a Dr’s appt early Feb and then was referred to hospital for various scans and a biopsy. The staff in the gynaecology department discovered it, well they could feel the tumour on that side. Its 10cm
It seemed to take a while for them to diagnose it and sometimes it was frustrating that it felt like everything was going so slowly. I’m guessing it’s because the NHS are under huge pressure. Anyway, I’m due to start two different types of chemo and a drug trial next week. 
I’m stage 4 as it’s spread to some lymph nodes and my liver (multiple lesions). 
So hard to get my head around how I’ve unknowingly got to such an advanced stage. My main focus is to stay strong and get through the treatment. I’m slightly apprehensive about it as stories in this groups seemed nixed about chemo and I’ll be having in once a week for 3 weeks then one week off. 
Any good news stage 4 stories. 

Many thanks 

• Hi, wow that’s great news that you’re feeling 85-90% you! It sounds like things are going really well and that the chemo has given you limited side effects. I have a few tired days and the tummy upsets but I’m hoping that’ll get easier as time goes on.

Good that you’re back to the lambing, I imagine it’s all hands to the pump with everyone helping. 

Is the tumour more treatable if it’s on the outside- it would be handy if that’s the case? I hope all ok with your lymph node, it sounds like your oncologist is throwing everything at it. 

Yes, I think now I’ve started treatment I’m feeling much better...seemed to take ages to get to that point so I felt exhausted when the treatment started.  I was anaemic so I had very little energy. On iron tablets now so feeling much better. 

i hope things go well with your oncologist next week! Xx

• Hi Linzey (),

I was just thinking of you this morning, it’s great to hear that you’re doing so well & side effects from the chemo are minimal. Lovely to hear from you & that you’re out & about lambing etc.

Nicola 

• I’ve got the tumour inside and outside Rolling eyes I can’t feel the tumour at all inside now but can feel the one outside!! Just because of where it is . Luckily because of my bag I’m not struggling too much with constipation or upset tummy’s !!!!  Xxxxxxx

• Thanks Nicola I really can’t complain ( but I do Rofl) Xxxxx hope your well Xxxx

• Hey never feel that you can’t complain, we’ve earned the right to have a bloody good moan lol… I’m ok have an oncology appointment on Tuesday as I’ve not had an examination in over a year, who would have thought I’d ever be chomping at the bit for a DRE!!! Flushed Around 18 months after treatment I had 2 BCC’s removed from my back & I’m going to ask my oncologist to check out another suspect area (I’ve been a sun worshipper in my younger days & it’s biting me back now!) they’re easily dealt with & don’t cause any other problems unless left untreated for a really long time.

So how many more treatments are you left with now? 

Nicola 

• Ooohh big day Tuesday then !!! So I’ve just finished my second cycle ( each cycle consists of Chemo once a week for 3 weeks then a week off .. my week off is going to consist of red wine !!!)  do you know Nicola if chemo causes tumours to Swell while being zapped ?? Anyway it depends on my scan results but they said ideally 6 months of chemo by which time I’ll be half way through treatment anyway ! Xxxx

• I’m also getting my annual scans at the end of May so busy couple of weeks where hospital appointments are concerned, I should imagine the follow-up to my scans will possibly be a telephone consultation with me being seen on Tuesday.

Oooh you’re hardcore drinking red lol 2 glasses & I need to sleep Joy 

To be completely honest I’m not sure about tumours swelling whilst on chemo! I know that radiotherapy can cause swelling & inflammation but unsure about chemotherapy! It would maybe be worth putting the question to your team at your next appointment even if it’s at your next chemo session I’m sure they’ll be able to source an answer for you. 

Nicola 

•  Hi sweetie, tumour swelling isn’t on the NHS list of chemo side effects:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/chemotherapy/side-effects/

But I’m sure I read somewhere that red wine & chocolate will cure anything - amputated limbs grow back, lottery tickets win prizes, & obvs world peaceJoy  xxx

• Hi Nicky

I hope you don’t mind me contacting you, I’m Linzeys mum. Unfortunately Linzey didn’t make it, she passed away on 9th January 2023, 2 years 3 days after she was first diagnosed. I know she took a lot of comfort from the community here and thank you all. 

Norma x