Radiation after-effects (re: pooping)

• 6 replies
  • 40 subscribers

hello all. I completed 33 radiation treatments for anal cancer on June 6 (D-Day!) and I’m having intense pain when pooping. In fact, it’s worse than when I was actively undergoing treatment. It’s like trying to pass waste through broken glass/coarse sandpaper and sometimes brings tears to my eyes. Is this normal and if so, would appreciate any suggestions on how to make things occur less painfully.  TYIA.

• Hi Sloopy, I am sorry for what you are going through but glad you have come on here as you will surely find some good tips on how to manage the pain opening bowels after treatment. Have you got a sitz bath? I used this and filled it with warm water to relax the skin around the anus and then I used oils to massage around that area to help make the skin more supple. Early months I used an oil called tamanu oil mixed in a carrier oil like jojoba which is very healing and good for scarring. You may also have some stenosis of the anal canal which makes pooing uncomfortable therefore make sure your diet includes food to keep stools soft. Some of us on here took movicol for months after treatment to help keep stools soft and less painful and drink plenty of water. Constipation is the worst as I discovered early days after my treatment (three years ago) and it caused a fissure which was no fun at all so keep those little blighters soft! It does improve as I started to experience less pain if my memory serves me right around nine months after treatment but we are all different and some recover quickly or more slowly. I still have some stenosis as I have thinner stools but no pain at all now. Hope this helps answer your question 

Julie

• Sloopy

One of my very first posts on here I asked how long it would take for the pain to subside - eight or nine weeks after my treatment finished it still felt as if I was passing broken glass, and that is exactly the expression I used too!   Looking back, I tend to think that the internal skin in the anus takes some punishment during treatment, and some people who have undergone radiotherapy take longer to heal than others.  I can't remember how long after that it eased, but Jaycee12 has given you some excellent hints.  The most important (for me) was avoiding constipation and keeping stools really soft so that there was no additional trauma by straining going to the loo.

Well done in getting this far, it won't be long before life gets back to normal - a new normal for most of us but a good one nevertheless!

Irene xx

• Hi Sloopy,

Congrats on finishing your treatment! And for finding your way here!

Like you, I only made it here after I'd finished treatment, and was having such a hard time with recovery. That broken glass feeling will haunt my memory forever, and I pray I never feel it again.

The good news is that it IS normal and it WILL pass. While you're in the crucible it feels like time has stopped and all there is is butt pain, but you are healing. It just takes time that passes so weirdly it doesn't seem to be moving at all.

Have you tried going directly into a Sitz bath? Because my husband installed a bidet for me I never actually tried this, but a bidet doesn't allow for this option and I probably should have. Julie suggested tamanu oil for massage, and that really did help and I always keep it on hand now. Lots of water, stool softeners, rest. There's no magic formula- you just have to baby yourself for a while.

Glad you're here, and hope you find it as helpful as I have.

Hugs

Suz

• Oh wow Sloopy this is what I came on to find out about today - Treatment day 14 so half way through and so so sore!  I referred to it as passing a pineapple but broken glass gold. I hope you find relief and can get on with life. I am early days, and mid way - the nurse said it wont ease up until a few weeks after its done! Oh Wow - pain relief and soft food for me and it is going to get better x Angie x 

• Hi   & welcome to the MacMillan online community although I’m sorry that you find yourself here. Also congratulations on completing your treatment. 

I agree with everything that’s been suggested already especially the part about keeping that poop soft! I took stool softeners for almost 3 years post treatment as I suffered some stenosis & constipation really wasn’t my friend. I also found moisturising the area kept the new skin supple & stopped any dryness & rashes associated with the new skin forming post treatment. Going in water with the aid of a sitz bath seems to help a lot of people although thankfully I didn’t get to that stage. Concentrate on staying well hydrated also. I think we’ve all passed on similar advice here for what worked for us so hopefully you’ve received some helpful tips. 

Nicola 

• I’m post treatment also and can honestly remember how painful some days were, up until quite recently. I often wonder if I’ll ever get to a normal position going to the toilet.

My doctors prescribed Lactulose. Whilst it doesn’t take the pain away completely it helps to makes stools softer to pass. 

I also had daily baths with Epsom salts, this really helped with healing externally with the skin as well as whole area. I’m not usually a bath person but I tried anything to help!

Best wishes with your recovery. One day at a time x