Post-Op Pain

• 6 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hello everyone, I’m wondering how everyone recovered after treatment, or in my case, a colostomy bag permanently put in place. However, it’s been around 18 months and I’m still suffering pain around the anus where the stitching is? Would this be normal?

• Hello JW1948 I just wanted to welcome you to the group. I personally did not have a colostomy bag but do know some members on here have so I am sure they will come forward on here to tell you their experience. I have read on here that some people who have had colostomy surgery, the rectum still produces mucus and this can irritate the skin. Maybe your medical team can suggest a cream you could use to help with the soreness. Julie

• Hi  ,

I understand that you’ve had a permanent stoma fitted but what other surgery did you have? Was it a local resection or APR surgery where anal canal etc., was removed & stitched closed? 

Prior to chemoradiotherapy I had a local resection when first diagnosed & almost 5 years on that area can still get really tender sometimes. On the other hand if it’s APR surgery you’ve had then this can be a much longer recovery & as I understand phantom pain can be an issue. I can’t comment much on the APR recovery having not gone through it myself but hopefully someone will see your post & be able to offer some more precise advice.

If in any doubt though never be afraid to contact your treating team as they will be able to offer medical advice & treatment in the way of more adequate pain relief if needed. 

Nicola 

• Thank you for youre reply it’s hard to explain i had short course radiotherapy before op and abdominoperineal excision of rectum and flap reconstruction I don’t get pain and it only feels sore for few minutes after i have been sat for a while and come to stand up it wear’s off when i walk about it dose feel different down there but suppose that is to be expected ime wondering if it could be scar tissue x

• Hello JW1948

Welcome to the forum, and I am sorry you are still suffering pain 18 months down the line.  I afraid can't help but there are a number of people who have had similar procedures who may be able to offer advice. I am aware that scar tissue can be painful for some considerable time and can constrict and go hard.  It would certainly be worth mentioning this pain to the team treating you who are best placed to know what will help.

Best of luck in getting this sorted out, please let us know how you get on.

Irene xx

• Hi again  , I wonder if it is possibly where the flap reconstruction & incision were made during your surgery that are a bit sore when you’re going from sitting to standing? That would make sense if you’re not getting pain any other time. When you think about the action of going from sitting to standing & vice versa there’s a lot of stretch on skin & muscles from our lower back, through our glutes, right down the back of our thighs & that transcends underneath as well I should imagine. I hope one of our members that has had a similar surgery will be able to shed a little more light on this issue for you. 

Nicola 

• No love i don’t get pain only uncomfortable from sitting to standing I have mentioned it but all she said was scar tissue I haven’t seen anyone since my op all appointment done over the phone I was just wondering if anyone else as had this problem it also feels different down there but suppose that to be expected too thank you for replying ime not use to online chats but it is nice to hear from other people x