Thinning Hair after Chemo/radiation

• 8 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hi everyone,

im after some tips regarding what people do after Chemo/radiation and hair loss/breakage.  I have recently bought a wig which I have worn around the house and on cold winter days going out walking but only with a hat on.  But to be honest I’m not at all comfortable wearing it as I always seem to get headaches when it’s on.  As I do have very thin hair I’m wondering about other possibilities and one is hair extensions!  I have never worn wigs or had extensions before and wondered if anyone on here has had them put into their hair.  I have been reading up on them and there are so many mixed arguments for for and against. I have read they can make hair fall out, although a hairdresser with whom I had a consultation with says if they are looked after that wouldn’t happen!   As they are quite expensive to have put in and also maintain and all mixed messages I’m wondering if any of you have had experience of them!

I finished my chemo radiation 5 months ago but hair is still breaking off.  
I would love to hear others experiences if they have tried them.  
Thank you.  

• Hello Leslie, welcome to this site. I am 22 months post treatment and going through the same dilemma regarding wearing what my hairdresser insists on calling a hair piece rather than a wig. My hair is naturally fine and before treatment I used to keep it in a neat bob hairstyle to keep it looking tidy and manageable. Since treatment I have noticed it has massively become thinner and I ended up having it really short at the back and sides and a little longer on the top. I notice when some people are talking to me they stare at my head so I say “yes you can see my scalp” and can understand how you feel. It does have me in tears at times and wonder if this treatment has affected my hormones. I decided to invest in a hair piece for when I go out somewhere nice. The lady I went to ordered several for me to try on and I cannot describe my emotions when sitting in front of the mirror with loads of hair which I have never had but I think they have to be thick to hide the mesh they use. In some ways it was taking away me! The one I decided on was expensive nearly £500 and my husband knows what I have been going through and kept saying if you want it I will buy it. I went to a concert that evening and decided to put it on. I live in a town where I grew up and know people will notice but I had to say just do it. I couldn’t wear this in summer months and I did feel by the end of the evening I couldn’t wait to rip it off as you get a little pressure on the forehead. My hairdresser said the more you wear it it get’s easier. My daughter who has beautiful thick black hair shaved her waist length hair off for cancer  and looked beautiful but she bought some very way out wigs in different colours to put on when she went out and said think of it as when you put on your makeup and clothes and then the wig! Done. I felt it wasn’t me if I wore it and it was a bit of a battle with my emotions and the one I bought when I put my glasses on and looked in the mirror I saw my mum looking back at me who did have lovely hair which might have been the deciding factor. I think for holidays it will be great and maybe I won’t be so self conscious about it. I also wear handybands on bad hair days which are great and don’t get too hot. I purchased a wig shampoo and it’s just a case of gentle washing and natural drying if needed my hairdresser advised me but she didn’t say anything about making hair loss worse. Apparently you can buy supplements for hair growth but do they really work I really don’t know. Hope you find this useful Julie

• Hi Leslie, the loss of our hair is something we can't be all philososophical about, is it? 

My hair was the one thing about myself that I always liked. When I was young my hair was long and blonde, very thin, sort of like a veil. Menopause changed it and made it better- still long and blonde (silver now), but now thick and wavy. 

The first question I asked my chemo oncologist was 'Will I lose my pretty hair?' He said it would probably thin, and he was right. First I cut it into a short shag, then finally buzzed it.

It quit falling out at maybe 6 months past treatment, but I've been having so much fun with it, dyeing it purple and pink and blue and green and sometimes swirling them all together so I have tie-dye head. Pretty warm hats in winter and lots of fun experimenting with scarves. I had no idea my head would be so cold without hair.

I'll grow it back at some point. I do like having a mane to toss. But for now I'm loving it super short!

No help for your specific question, after all that typing, just support for whatever coping mechanism you pick. 

Hugs

Suz

• Hello Leslie

I am sorry you are still having problems with hair breakage.  I completely lost all my hair as I had six months systemic chemo prior to chemo/radiation and bought a wig in preparation.  However, it happened to be the very hot summer of 2021 and I couldn't bear the thought of wearing it, and had a range of chemo hats that tied in with my clothes.  As it grew colder, by then I had become totally used to the hats so my wig has stayed in the cupboard ever since.  When my hair started growing back, it was quite sparse and I had it cut very very short, and that is the way it is to this day.  I honestly don't know what it would be like if I left it to grow back into a bob, as I used to have it.  However, I agree with  I never realised how much our hair, even fine hair, keeps our head and neck warm, many days until fairly recently I have had to wear a hat. 

I am sorry I don't know about hair extensions but a quick Google seems to confirm your fear that they can damage the hair.  It might be an idea to try on a very short wig to see what it looks like, my family all told me to keep mine short, they thought it was much more youthful!

I do hope that you find a solution that works for you; we all need a crowning glory of sorts and I totally empathise how upsetting it can be to see a big change.

Irene xx

• Thank you all for replying.  I have tried a wig, a topper which I could never come to terms with and now contemplating hair extensions.  But I can’t make a decision.  I read that they can damage hair.  I Operatives carrying out these extensions say if they are done properly they won’t hurt hair!  So it’s a matter of who is right!!!

thank you for all input but I guess if I can’t make a decision it’s the right decision! 

• Hi Irene, Yes I bought a wig before chemo started but couldn’t get on with it, I found it itchy and also I always had a headache whilst wearing (just around the house).  Recently I bought another wig and have worn that with a hat to go for a walk with the dog.  However if I’m honest with myself I don’t think I would wear to go out, even shopping.  I feel to conspicuous, Ridiculous but there we are!  I will perhaps go half way with the extensions ie just a few, as it’s the sides of my hair which is worse and it will then be much easier to take them out if I feel not working… 

Thankyou so much for your input, it’s so good to know we are all going through this together and thank god we are still here to tell the tale. We are the lucky ones…

• I totally understand, I look at my wig now and think it is so much thicker and a better colour and shape than my own hair that if I wore it and suddenly left it off people would be shocked!

• I think that’s the problem Irene, the hair is too thick! My hairdresser did offer to trim it but she was hesitant because I had only just purchased it. I might ask her to trim it a bit or people might think I have been eating miracle grow. I think the biggest obstacle is worrying what other people will think or say. It’s silly really when you look at many young people who have lots of procedures done like Botox lips and larger breasts and the fashion of the thicker eyebrows that certainly in my opinion do not look natural so I think we are be very hard on ourselves for wanting a bit of hair. Those that have never experienced hair loss or have enviable hair just don’t always realise how lucky they are and I want some. I have a sort of friend who knows I am concerned about my hair and she never fails to tell me how she suffers in the heat because of her thick mane whilst tossing it to one side. Grrrrr!

• You are right  , it must be about two years ago I watched a video with Trevor Sorbie, the hairdresser, who styles cancer patients' wigs after his sister-in-law had breast cancer and he styled her wig.  He says it has to be styled just like hair and he spent a long time cutting and thinning it and it looked like the woman's own hair at the end and she was delighted.  You can see him on YouTube.

Ah, you don't need 'friends' tossing their thick hair, I couldn't even do that in the old days long BC!