Bleeding again.

• 5 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hi - my treatment finished at the end of June and I was told in November 2022 that the cancer had gone. I only had the chemo/radiation and no surgery.  Now, four months later, I am experiencing blood from my backside again. I'm due to see the oncologist nextg month. Is this likely to be due to damage from the treatment, do you think? TIA.

• Hi  ,

I too had some bleeding but it was always connected with a difficult bowel movement. The new skin that forms following radiotherapy will never be the same as the skin prior to treatment, I found mine split quite easily if I struggled at all to go to the loo. The times that this happened just gradually got further & further apart to the point where it very rarely happens now. If you’re experiencing bleeding other than at toilet times I would maybe get checked out a little earlier, 

Nicola 

• Puddy, I only have the medical knowledge I have picked up on here, mainly, on anal cancer and I have no idea.  The new skin is very thin and sensitive and tears easily so maybe that is the cause of your bleeds.  Or it could be because you strained, or are passing hard stools, but at least you are seeing your oncologist next month and can ask.  Better still, to put your mind at rest, why not ring the team treating you?

Please let us know how you get on.

Irene xx

• Hello puddy, I too experienced the occasional bleed. My oncologist asked if it looked fresh. That was caused by the skin splitting whilst opening the bowels. As Nicola and Irene said our skin is a tad more fragile than before. Yes I agree it would be an idea to phone your team and speak to someone about your concerns. I managed to see my oncologist a month earlier as she squeezed me in and it was such a relief to be reassured everything was fine. I hope do get on okay

• Hi Puddy,

It's becoming more and more seldom, but if I don't drink enough water or take enough psyllium capsules and my stool starts to toughen up again, I get bleeding. I'll bet it's just that tender skin that may always be a bit fragile. Did it resolve quickly? I rarely bleed for long. 

Hugs

Suz

• Hi Puddy,

Probably nothing, but I do suggest you call your oncologist now instead of waiting a month. If anything, it will give you peace of mind! 

Hopie xx