New lump!

• 11 replies
  • 39 subscribers

I was diagnosed with Anal Cancer in late June early July this year (2022). I went through chemo-radiation every day for five weeks. I have recovered well and feel good. I have my follow-up scan in January and am seeing my oncologist in late January.

I have now found that I have a lump which is dropping down from my vagina.  I don’t have any pain but suffering a little with lower back pain.  Has anybody else experienced this?  perhaps this is something to do with the radiation ?  Apart from this lump and backache feeling ok, but now worried it has spread to my uterus!   I would love to hear of others experience.  Thank you. 

• Hi   welcome to the group and I'm glad to hear that you are through treatment and are well on the way to recovery.  When you describe a lump dropping down from the vagina, do you mean a sort of bulge dropping down in the vaginal canal?  I ask as a friend of mine had a prolapsed uterus and that's how she described it-this was nothing cancer related.  A prolapsed uterus can occur for many reasons. Unfortunately, after a cancer diagnosis we tend to link any further health problems to the diagnosis. Personally, I haven't heard of radiotherapy causing this to happen. I would call your treating team or your GP and ask for a physical examination. Please let us know how you get on.  Bev 

• I had what you describe some years ago and it was exactly what @1in1500 describes - a prolapse which I had repaired.  However, it was a bulge, rather than a lump.  Just to be safe, I would see the team treating you or your GP and get it checked out.  We always think the worst, don't we?  Every little ache and pain sets off that nagging worry!  Please come back and let us know.

Best of luck with your follow on appointment

Irene xx

• Thank you Irene,  As you say we always think the worst.  I will give my oncologist a call, I have got my appointment to see her at the end of January but I know I will still have nagging thoughts if I don’t make the call.  Many thanks and a happy healthy 2023. X

• Hi 1in500, 

thank you for replying so quickly.  I am going to ring my oncologist and have a conversation.  It does sound very much like what your friend had a prolapsed uterus!  I’m not sure if the size of a uterus, but this bulge is about the size of a walnut.  
    I will update when I can get some more information.  Thank you so much that has made me feel better already! Happy and healthy new year to you and all!xx

• Hey Bev!

You really hit the nail on the head when you said that after a cancer diagnosis, we tend to assume that any other health condition we experience, we should attribute to cancer.  I think that’s quite a mental obstacle to overcome, one I’m really trying to work my way around now as I recover from a minor cold and have some achy joints following a busy holiday season!  If anyone has tips or anecdotes about how to move through life and just be a regular person with regular health ailments, please share!

I have heard of prolapsed uterus, and I do hope you,  , find this is a simple diagnosis with a straightforward treatment!  I’ve never heard of pelvic radiation treatment causing this, specifically, but I do know it affects the ligaments and really all of the tissue of the pelvis, so I wonder if it might have contributed to the weakening of the structure that holds the uterus in place?  I know your general concern, though…we can all empathize with the worry about Every. Little. Thing.  Hang in there—may you have answers and relief soon!

Best wishes to all,

Red

• Hi 1 in 1500, I telephoned my oncology dept. Where I spoke to one of the senior nurses.  I explained to her what’s happened and she was of the opinion, as yourself, that I have a prolapse.  She is hoping to bring my appointment forward which is scheduled for 25th January.  I will update when I have seen her, although the nurse said it would be a gynaecologist I will need to see.  
    thank you again. X

• Hi Red, 

I finished my chemo-radiation on 12th September 2022 so am now awaiting my follow up scans in January followed by oncologist appt on 25th January.  Like yourself, the moment I felt the lump I imagined the worse.  However, with the support of you all here I have calmed down and spoken to hospital and hope to have an earlier appointment.

we have to have positive thoughts!Fingers crossedxx

• Hi    for me, the psychological side of my cancer diagnosis has been the worst thing. It just makes you lose all faith and trust in your body and left me with a feeling that anything could happen health wise. I was referred to an Oncological Psychologist and found the sessions helpful.  I'm now 3.5 years on from treatment and have found that I am quite relaxed now if I have itching and pain at the site of the tumour as this has happened numerous times and there's no reoccurrence. To be honest though, any new issues I have, although I try to keep my mind from immediately thinking 'cancer' I do struggle with this and go to my GP's more than I used to.   I do think this will lessen in time (as it has with the anal itching and pain).  The only thing that helps with this are distraction techniques until any new issue has been checked out.  Bev x

• Hi @Leslie good to see things are moving and your appointment will (hopefully)  be brought forward.  Bev x

• Bev,

Thank you so much for this thoughtful response.  It is great to hear from those of us who are successfully years out of treatment.  No, hearing that someone else feels the same as I doesn’t change the feeling, but it does change how I perceive that feeling.  As in, uncomfortable feeling, and I’m wrong for having it vs. uncomfortable feeling, and I’m NORMAL for having it!

Yes, I find, like you, that the small, recurrent symptoms here and there become easier to ride-out after a few check-ups that show all is well.  Every once in a while, though, I experience something new, and then I fret about that until my check-in, or at least until I have some reassurance from my team via email that it is a normal and not alarming side effect.

Like you, I also see my new gp more often, but she is fabulous and thorough and absolutely understands my anxiety, so she responds quickly and orders whatever tests needed to put me at ease.  I think this is the best we can do.

As for not trusting one’s body, yes, I felt that initially, too.  What I’ve come to reconcile with myself is that yes, despite a really healthy lifestyle, an unthinkable thing happened. The bottom line is I DID have enough of a symptom from my body to urge me to get to the doctor and insist on answers, I DID advocate for the best possible treatment, and my body has responded beautifully to that treatment.  I am trusting my body again, and I’m paying very, very close attention!

Very best to you in this new year and its promise of great things!

Red