Nerve damage - late effects

• 5 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi

Just wondering whether anyone has experienced any issues with their legs/feet following treatment as a late effect?

I'm always posting about various aches and pains but my recent new one seems to be a 'fizzy foot' and aching leg on the treatment side.  I think I've read before that there may be long term nerve damage but just wondered whether it was something other's had experiences years down the line.

And if so, if there's anything that I can do to help it?

I've got a consultant appointment soon, so will ask about it and of course, it may be totally unrelated, so be good to know if anyone has or had anything similar?

Deb x  

• Hi my legs haven't ached as such, but I seem to have lost muscle strength in them since treatment, but then my activity levels are not what they used to be.  I have had a buzzing sensation on/off  in my right foot  (opposite side to treatment site) since my '30's. It feels like my foot is placed over a vibrating pipe running  under the floorboards. No idea what it is though. I do think that the radiotherapy can cause nerve issues. It will be interesting to see if other people have experienced this. Bev x

1in1500
  • Hi ,

Yes, I know that feeling!  I finished chemo radiation at the end of January, and in early June, I absolutely felt noticeable buzzing, tingling, even burning almost, starting in my left glute (yes, treatment side), down my left leg, and all the way to my foot.  I figured it was likely a side effect of the radiation, and it didn’t stop me from doing what I wanted to do, so I just kept at my exercise routine, stretching, yoga, etc.  The feeling eventually went away…I’d say it took about a week, and I haven’t felt it since.

I had labs and CT scan today, and my labs look normal, scan looks clear (YAY!), but that leg tingling thing is something I’m going to ask my doctors about when I meet with them tomorrow.  It absolutely makes sense that there would be some nerve damage (maybe the sciatic nerve?) after the radiation to the pelvis, or that inflammation from time to time as we heal would cause the tingling.  I’ll let you know what my team says, and if you get an answer from your team, I’d like to hear what they say, too!

Best to you,

Red

• Hi ,

When I’ve spoken to my surgeon about my sciatica, which has only been an issue since my treatment, he offered to refer me on to a neurologist if I felt I wasn’t managing it well enough. I also get cramp during the night in my thigh muscles occasionally (so, so painful!) although this only happens once in a blue moon now. General stiffness is still an issue for me anywhere from my lower back to my thighs & occurs more or less as soon as I stop moving! This issue with your foot though sounds as though it could be nerve related but as you say probably the best person to speak with is your consultant.

Just a thought, did you have lymph nodes mapped into your treatment also? I was just thinking of lymphoedema if you’re getting an ache just in the one leg, I know this is usually accompanied by swelling/fluid retention but it’s worth a mention. 

If you have no joy with your consultant try & see your GP as mine was quite helpful & provided me with a couple of exercise sheets for my sciatica, they may also be able to offer some helpful advice or refer you on if they think another department may be able to help. 

Nicola 

• Chemo radio can cause long term neuropathy which causes pins and needles , pains, weakness etc. it can occur years later. Mine is steadily worsening after 5 years, but it does come and go. Some days fine, others very annoying!

• Hi 

Ok, so I asked my doctors about the leg ache/zinging/tingling that I experienced, and indeed, they confirmed that it may come and go as the radiation treatment field mapped out for me undoubtedly included a portion of that nerve.  The effects of radiation continue long after the treatment ends, and they said this may be something that shows up when inflammation flares.  It hasn’t bothered me since June, so for now, I’m going to continue doing what I do—I suspect that exercise, stretching, and quality sleep all helped to alleviate those symptoms.

The good news, in my case, is that all of my scans, bloodwork, and exam looked great!  So I’m continuing NED, and though I have an odd after-effect of treatment from time to time, they are not indicative of recurrence.  The team told me to notify them if things are interfering with daily life, are persistent, or are worsening…the doctors aren’t just there for “cure,” they’re also there to support great quality of life!

When you see your team, ask them about the leg numbness and tingling.  Perhaps they can shed some light on nerves that may have been affected in your radiation treatment field, and I hope you’re finding some relief from it since you first wrote of it.

Best to you!

Red