Frightened to go to sleep

• 4 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi everyone 

first day of treatment and I’m so scared to go to sleep.  I had an infusion of chemo, chemo tablets, steroids, and radiotherapy!  Anyone else felt like this the first time? 

• Hi ,

That first day of treatment is a big day, it’s also generally a long day too, if I remember rightly I was at the hospital from 10am until around 4pm my chemo infusion was scheduled for around 10.30am but it was delayed, then by the time I got onto the chemo suite, cannula in, saline wash run through then the pharmacy don’t make up the infusion until your bloods are checked & your bum is very safely in that chair, my radiotherapy wasn’t scheduled until 3pm! My dad came with me for company (pre-covid) so we went to the cafe in the hospital & had a bite to eat & a cuppa until it was time for my radiotherapy. There’s a lot of anxiety surrounding the start of treatment, although I was pleased it was starting I was incredibly anxious that first day but once in a routine  of daily hospital visits before I knew it I was nearing the end. I really hope that you managed to get some sleep last night, don’t hesitate to mention to your treating team if your anxiety continues or gets worse at all they should be able to help. 

Nicola 

• Thank you so much Nicola, it’s was a long day for sure!  Got about 4 hours sleep, just getting ready for round 2 today, hoping for a shorter turnaround…might have to start greasing palms up there!!

• I’m sure you’ll be in & out a lot quicker today, if you’re appointment is this morning try & take an hour this afternoon where you can have a nice little nap or at least some quiet time it can be quite exhausting. Good luck for today, let me know how you get on. 

Nicola