Depression

• 3 replies
  • 39 subscribers

I'm feeling lost right now. I'm one month post treatment, and feel like a big back cloud has descended over me. I don't want do anything, worrying constantly, can't sleep. Anyone else feeling like this?? What can I do to feel more positive???  

• Hi Ann bos I am sorry you are feeling lost. You are only one month post treatment and  going through the healing process which was my worst time when I was very sore and having to get up several times a night to go to the bathroom. Many of us on here have been through it and I cannot imagine anyone who after a month would feel great apart from not having to travel to the hospital every day. Your moods are down to what you have been through and I would advise you to speak to your support team. When I woke in the night it’s very easy to start letting your thoughts of doom wander and you start to think what if it didn’t work etc. It’s supposed to be really effective in ridding us of this cancer but we are all human and can also look for the what ifs! I would take a flask to bed and my kindle and if I woke I would read and enjoy a hot drink. When I was a month post treatment I had quite a few issues which I would think was for ever and my life would not be the same and I cannot go far from a toilet etc. I am six months post treatment and things a much improved and life is looking good. I am sure you will be feeling much more positive as time goes on and try to be patient with yourself.

• Hi ,

I too am sorry you’re feeling this way. Unfortunately the way you’re feeling isn’t unusual after going through something as life changing as a cancer diagnosis & subsequent treatment. Distraction techniques are good for keeping your mind occupied during the daytime & if you look on https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/your-stories/tackling-negative-thoughts-with-distraction/ there’s some good ideas there but also it would be good to let your  GP know how you’re feeling & maybe ask for a referral to a cancer specific counsellor for some talking therapy but also a short course of medication might be suggested. If a referral is going to be a bit long winded you could also give the Macmillan Helpline a ring. 

Please don’t ever feel alone, we’re always here for support. 

Nicola 

• Thanks for replying, its nice to know I'm not alone in my thoughts etc. I will try a hot drink during the night. As you say it might break the cycle.