Dpd

• 5 replies
  • 38 subscribers

So I had heard that Dpd test was important as side effects are worse for those with no enzyme or something like that. Turns out I have no enzyme and therefore they will be reducing my dose of chemo to 50% for first week of treatment with a view going up to 75% if all goes well. Anyone else had a similar experience and how did it go for you? 

• Hi I had this test too but was not enzyme deficient. I can't recall anyone having this issue in the group at least not recently.  Did you ask for the test or were you offered it? It's a good job you were tested. Bev 

• It was done automatically and I just happened to ask about it and they explained that they do it so they can make sure they do the right dose as if they gave 100% dose to someone without the enzyme they could become very ill with side effects. So great that they did it. 

• That's interesting. I asked for the test as literally right before the start of my treatment in 2019 a man had been to the press about not being offered the test and he had been very ill after chemo. I know it's rare to have the deficiency but it's a simple test so people should be offered it.  The mainstay of the treatment for A/C is the radiotherapy so I would try not to be too concerned about the reduction in chemo (easier said than done I know! ) Bev 

• Hi I am dpd deficient and like you my chemo reduced to 50% for entirety of chemo radiation (5 weeks) . I’m  T3n2mo rectal adenoma carcinoma which is very low in rectum ( 4cms in ) I responded relatively well to dosage . 
  • Thanks Netta good to hear.