vaginal stenosis

• 4 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Yep. Of course I have it. Here's my question. Can/will my gyno do a pap under a light sedative? I'm not sexually active, nor planning to be. I'm almost 66 - though that's not the reason...just that I already had thinning and some stenosis. I tried the dilators. Honestly, I don't have enough incentive to go through all that agony. It really was painful when I urinated for about 3 days after each try! So not worth it to me. So I see the gyno in two weeks...but not for a pap. That will be in December. Do you think she can/will use anesthesia then? Thanks, Lynn

• Hi Teletuby, Sorry you are having this issue and I understand your concern. I too have vaginal stenosis and my gyno used children's equipment to do my pap and it wasn't painful at all. 

Best of luck to you!!

• Hi Lynne (),

I was told by my surgeon & oncologist that smear tests if too difficult or uncomfortable to do the regular way can be done under sedation, here in the UK that would mean a hospital admission though. I had a smear test prior to my surgery so not due another just yet but a lady I have contact with had hers recently & the nurse, as  has said, used the smallest speculum & she said it was fine. 

Nicola

• My paps have always been painful and became a lot worse after menopause. I asked my gynaecologist to do my last pap with sedation, he refused and convinced me to go without. It was super painful. I always have sedation for other procedures like bone marrow biopsies so next time I’m going to insist that they use it. 

Nicola

• Hi Nicola, thx for responding.  Yes that would be unacceptable to me for sure.  Too old to put up with that bs! Best to you and be well.  Lynn