Mums radiotherapy

• 6 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Mum is due to have an intense radiotherapy over a week starting 26th October  , she has been through so much already with anal cancer been told its 6cm in length and in a lymph node in groin area. She is aware it is for palliative intent to help slow it down. Just wondered if anyone has had intense radiotherapy.  

• Hi there ,

Hopefully the radiotherapy will work it’s magic & help your mum be more comfortable. I know members of the group that have had larger tumours & gone through the standard treatment have said they’ve felt improvement in the way of shrinkage of their tumours quite early on in treatment, also the radiotherapy continues working in your body long after your last session. They will probably make sure that the lymph node will be zapped at the same time too. I’m not completely sure what the intensive radiotherapy entails as mine was over a course of 23 days (clinical trial). 

Sending lots of positive thoughts your way. 

Nicola

• Thanks all we know is its 10mins a day at QE Birmingham for 5 days

But were told its palliative intent so not expecting miracles just making mum more comfortable. 

Julie

• Hi Julie.c64, the vast majority of us on here have had radiotherapy, I had 28 days of it, Monday-Friday for 5.5 weeks with chemo every day too. The radiation dose was 50GY. You don’t feel the radiotherapy whilst it’s being done. Your mum will lie on the bed part of the machine and the machine then moves around your torso. It takes about 10 mins. The side effects aren’t apparent in the beginning, mine only came on after 4 weeks or so, soreness and diarrhoea. There are many creams/ medications that will be a auto your mum for any side effects, just ask the Colo-Rectal nurses. The radiotherapy staff are very good with advice on skincare. The radiotherapy is very effective at melting away the tumour so you’re mum should be more comfortable soon x

• Hi again ,

The radiotherapy sessions are painless & if it’s just for 5 days your mum shouldn’t suffer any of the side effects that accumulate when you have the treatment over a longer period of time, most people get to week 3 or 4 before they get a skin reaction etc., it’ll be worth it if it alleviates some of your mums symptoms & makes her more comfortable. I’ll be thinking of you all. 

Nicola

• Hi thanks my sister explained a little bit she said they are making a substitute layer of skin to put between mum and the radiotherapy.  She was at hospital nearly 5 hours today getting scans very tired but coping well.

• Thanks for all the info very greatful to this community second visit as my husband had his opp 2014