Long term GI issues

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 36 subscribers

First, I found this group on the web. Not a lot of chat forums out there on this disease. I am in America. I had anal cancer in 2002. I did chemo and radiation, at the same time. 5 weeks of it. I have had extreme GI problems. Diarrhea, gas, bloating, then extreme constipation.

In the beginning I thought I had a hemorrhoid. Turned out to be an anal fissure. I had a sphincterotomy, and it came back cancer, then a reexcision. Needless to say, I struggle with control with the diarrhea. 

Was wondering if anyone else is as far post treatment as I and if you have trouble like me. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I’m sorry you continue to suffer so long after your treatment ended. I read a lot about these longer term symptoms/permanent damage as a result of the radiation. I’m only 16 months out but regularly have some of the symptoms you mention. 

Many people who suffer with these symptoms longer term are diagnosed with PRD (Pelvic Radiation Disease). Is this something you are aware of?

Do you use Facebook? are you aware of the American anal cancer forum ran by Claudia Makowski? if not I can connect you. It’s for women only and there are over 600 members mainly American. The sorts of things you describe are discussed regularly. 

We also have an online AC surgeon you can email directly for advise if you’d like a professional medical opinion. 

In the meantime, I hope others similar to yourself will read and respond to your message very soon. 

I appreciate these things are very hard to live with even though we are very grateful that the cancer has gone. 

All the best. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you. I am having surgery in a couple of weeks. I have loops in my small intestine at the bottom, near the pelvic floor. Also an entire web of adhesions. She is hoping to just lysis the adhesions. She told me that she did not have a good feeling about it though. She may have to cut out part of my small intestine. Oh the joys. My quality of life has increasingly deminished. Hopefully it will be the adhesions only. We shall see.....