HPV Virus

• 6 replies
  • 38 subscribers

i was diagnosed with anal cancer about 2 years ago.  This forum got me through some very dark days and I’ll always be grateful,  

I always understood that it was caused by the HPV Virus.  My son has now been offered the vaccine and I am more than keen for him to have it.  Unfortunately my eldest son misses out as this is  the first year they’ve offered it to boys.  However does anyone know whic strain of the virus causes anal cancer?   I wish I’d asked at the time. Many thanks 

• Hi Bealie

Congratulations on  being 2 years post treatment! I like you have a son that will be getting the vaccine this year but also have a son that has missed out. I think from memory I googled it at the time and I recall it being HPV 16 & 18 that seem to be the culprit although i’m not 100% certain.  I’m sure there will be others with more information popping on here.  It’s great news to hear they are giving this vaccine to the boys now. 

Take care

Crystal x x

• Hi Crystal,

Yes I think it's great news.  Not sure why it wasn't given to boys before.

Thank you for your reply.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Not all, but most anal cancers are HPV driven. As already mentioned, its strains 16 & 18 that cause anal, cervical, vaginal, vulval, penile, throat and mouth cancer.

I have 2 sons aged 11 and 15. My 11 year old with receive the vaccine through school next year however, I’ll have to pay privately for my 15 year old. This is something I’m looking into now, its 3 injections and costs roughly £350.

Sarah x

• Hi Sarah,

Thank you.     I was considering looking into private injections for both my boys just after I finished treatment but then heard that it was being rolled out to boys at last.   I can't have one vaccinated and one not, it doesn't seem fair but I heard that sometimes they can't complete the course as the vaccine is hard to come by.  Not sure how true that is.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Bealie

Hi

I’ve spoken with my GP regarding this and there lots of private vaccination clinics where you can get the HPV vaccine easily. You can even get it done in Superdrug:

https://healthclinics.superdrug.com/services/hpv-vaccination

She did however, advise moving quickly as once the government programme is rolled out, there will probably be an influx of people getting it done privately off the back of it.

Sx

• Thanks Sarah for that extra information, my son is 20, I will need to look into it for him.

Crystal x x