Preparing

• 10 replies
  • 37 subscribers

I start my treatment next Monday, but as a self confessed overthinker I'm starting to panic that I'm not doing enough to prepare myself.

This specifically relates to the skin burning from the radiotherapy, which gives me nightmares! I looked at a link for an American anal cancer site and they listed loads of different things to buy in advance (most of which I didn't know what they were anyway).

Ive got E45 cream and moisturising the nether regions regularly, but should I be doing anything else? Someone told me to start drinking aloe Vera juice but I'm not sure that's necessary recommended because of bowel issues. Someone else said to start cranberry juice to help the bladder.

I feel a bit overwhelmed in that I'm not doing enough to help things as much as possible? and particularly re the skin.

Deb x 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I can’t advise on what you need as I’m starting in about 3 weeks but remember you’ll be going to and from the hospital so can stop and buy stuff as and when it’s required. Most of the recommendations seem to be standard supermarket/chemist fare.

I’m planning on buying some of those big cotton old lady knickers a size bigger than my usual. I think they’ll be comfy and make me feel safe. And yes, I’m getting black so if I do have any little mishaps there’ll be nothing to show after they’ve been through the wash.

I’ll be watching this thread to see what our post treatment veterans have to say.

kind regards,

Trish

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Like the two of you, I've not actually started treatment yet, but I have been warned that a side effect could be "fecal incontinence" (to put it politely)

As a bloke, I'm already considering swapping my boxers for briefs so I can pop in a pad!

I hadn't really thought about moisturising ... this is still as new for me as it is for you

E45 is a good over-the-counter choice, especially as you can get a cream or a (lighter, less substantial) lotion

My 82 year old Dad suffers from dry, swollen skin on his legs and uses Zerobase as a moisturiser, and I think has used Duobase in the past. He also has a sore anal area and uses Medi-honey barrier cream for that. He gets both of these on prescription, so I'll be having a word with my GP. I get free prescription as a "senior" even if I didn't qualify as a cancer patient

• FormerMember

Oh ... can I remind everyone that although cranberry juice might be good for the bladder, it's a BIG no-no for people taking Warfarin (maybe for heart conditions?)

• Hi Deb, Trish & Andy, 

Regarding creams etc., I wouldn’t worry too much I was given a continual supply by the radiotherapy/oncology team that were treating me so you probably will too. I began by moisturising the life out of my nether regions as soon as treatment began with QV cream (basically an aqueous cream) which was supplied by the radiotherapy girls & as my skin began getting a little sore I was then supplied with flaminal cream which treats burns then eventually after treatment was finished I was prescribed flamazine again a burns treatment but this one contains silver therefore can’t be used during radiotherapy. I also got radiation cystitis from week 2 & was advised by one of the radiotherapy girls to wash with the QV instead of soap/body wash etc., & that was one of the best bits of advice I was given, I still now only use aqueous cream to wash with ‘down there’! I also drank cranberry juice to help with the cystitis. Also remember that as you’ve had a cancer diagnosis you’re entitled to a medical exemption certificate so anything you can get on prescription from your GP will be free of charge! This wasn’t made clear to me straight away! I had to take stool softeners throughout treatment, for some reason I swung completely the opposite way to most, I still do & my aqueous cream is also on repeat prescription.

I’ve just had my 12 month scan review yesterday having gone through surgery March 2018 & a subsequent course of chemo-radiotherapy May/June 2018 for AC & I’m pleased to say all’s still well & I’m still disease free! 

It’s all very overwhelming being where you are now but look how many of us have gone through this treatment & are back  living our lives, so many of us are disease free too. Rest assured once you begin treatment the time will fly, tick off those days on your treatment plan & you’ll soon be through the other side.

All the very best of luck to you all.

Nicola 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nikki65

Hey Nicola

Many thanks for that

As I mentioned in my follow-up, some people (like me) can't go anywhere near cranberries. I'm sure that I if go down with UTI or something similar, I'll be able to work with my oncology team and my GP surgery to find something that works for me

As you said, the radiology/oncology team will prescribe whatever creams we may need during/after RT. I'm over 60 and qualify for free prescriptions anyway

My local hospital, where I got my diagnosis from the colorectal consultant, gives free parking to cancer patients too ... which is a godsend!

• FormerMember

Hi all

I've been reading through the thread unfortunately I can't add anything to help as there has been a lot of good advice given already and I'm sure that once treatment starts you'll all receive help and support from the teams treating you but I would like to talk about prescription charges and I know that many have mentioned that they've reached the age when prescriptions are supplied without charge but this next bit is directed to the under 60's please DON'T assume that you automatically qualify for free prescriptions because of your diagnosis.

Whilst you do, of course, you need to have a medical exemption certificate which you have to apply for and the application form has to be signed by your GP. The business unit of the NHS who administer prescription charges are on a crusade to seek out people who are claiming free prescriptions who are under 60 and without a medical exception certificate and are "happily" fining everyone a princely sum of £100 each time they find someone.

Please do apply for your certificate as soon as you are Diagnosed, the certificate is free but without it you could be fined.

It is upto everyone to apply and even if you already have one it is up to you to reapply as it doesn't automatically continue after the expiration date and again new rules state that your GP needs to sign the application form again

I have this LINK from a support group that I am a member of which gives more information on the medical exemption certificate.

Also has been mentioned find out from your hospital if they have any little "perks" for you like free parking etc and take advantage of them, remember if you don't ask you don't get!

You also might find This of interest.

Ian

By clicking on any of  the green text above will open up new pages for you.

• Hi Andy,

To be fair my radiotherapy team just told me to drink plenty of water for the cystitis as it was radiation cystitis & it cannot be treated with antibiotics as bacterial cystitis can, it was my idea to drink the cranberry juice, I don’t know if it did any good to be honest! 

Yes in reference to the parking, my treatment was at the Freeman hospital Newcastle at the Northern Centre for Cancer Care & I paid £10 for a parking permit which gives me free parking at all the Newcastle hospitals which is great as my surgical care is at the RVI in Newcastle & this can be used as long as I need it, I’m still using it for my check-ups it’s literally saved me a fortune in parking charges! 

Nicola

• Hi Ian,

I have mentioned in my reply on this thread about the Medical Exemption Certificate, I just wanted to point out the fact that this was available to people after a cancer diagnosis as unfortunately it wasn’t mentioned to me by anyone, GP’s etc., even when they were issuing medication after my diagnosis, it took a lady that works in my local chemist that was aware of my diagnosis that told me I shouldn’t be paying for my prescriptions & I had to go back to my GP’s surgery & get the forms to apply etc. I’ve come across quite a few people that have been in the same position as myself, unaware of the access to the application for a Medical Exemption Certificate, there are quite a few of us that are under 60 & when you’re having to have time off work due to your diagnosis/treatment every little saving helps.

Nicola 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nikki65

Re free prescriptions

I work with quite a few people who free prescriptions and my own dear old Mom would have been able to get free prescriptions before she hit 60 because of her thyroid problems

But, the condition entitles you to a certificate that gives you exemption. It's the certificate that gives you exemption from prescription charges not the condition

• FormerMember

The purpose of my response was simply to inform all that if you are over 16 and under 60 and you have a condition on the "list" you are entitled to exemption from prescription charges on production of a valid exemption certificate and each person has to apply (and reapply) for themselves and some medical professionals are very slow to inform their patients of the need to apply, even although they have the necessary application forms in their desk drawer.

The diagnosed condition as per the current list sets out the diagnosed conditions that are exempt from prescription charges on production of a valid exemption certificate. Strictly speaking the medical exemption certificate exempts you from paying prescription charges but to obtain a medical exemption certificate you must have been diagnosed with a condition on the list.

Hypothyroidism a condition for an underactive thyroid is on the list and exempts patients from paying prescription charges providing they have applied for and have a valid exemption certificate.

Medical exemption certificate should not be confused with a prescription prepayment certificate  You can only get a prescription prepayment certificate if you live in England. A 3 or 12 month prescription prepayment certificate  covers all your prescriptions for that period, no matter how many you need providing you produce your certificate to the pharmacy at the point of dispensing each and every time.

nhsbsa / prescription prepayment certificate

All information has been checked against the following nhsbsa / exemption certificate for accuracy.

Ian

By clicking on any of the green text above will open up new pages for you.