Chemo snd radiation side effects

• 6 replies
  • 39 subscribers

I recently completed the full 6 weeks of radiation and 2 rounds of chemo. I was admittedly very focused on the side effects of radiation, and am still concerned about sphincter muscle contro. I am so fearful of leaving the house for any length of time. Wearing adult diapers at age 60 was not in my crystal ball. I will go for pelvic exercises. Can anyone tell me if this gets better? Will I ever have a normal bowel function again? I am also hoping the chemo side effects dissipate. Will they? I have no appetite and very little motivation to enjoy life the way I used to. If you’ve been there, please share. 

Ginny

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Whilst unpleasant and worrying please be assured that all the side effects you are experiencing are common after chemo-radiation. 

The treatment for AC is short however, the recovery is quite long I’m afraid. So whilst all of these symptoms will improve, it can take some time. Much we depend on your original staging and how strong your treatment was. 

I was stage 3 and completed treatment last June. I to had incontinence and urgency but am pleased to say it’s improved vastly. My bowel function is not totally back to how it was, I don’t think it ever will be, but I’ve adapted and got used to it. For me the first movement of the day has urgency thereafter, I can hold things. I also go to the toilet more frequently. Twice a day sometimes more. 

I lost my appetite and weight however, it came back with vengeance about 3/4 weeks after treatment. 

Don’t be alarmed if you experience any aching at some point as well. 

Your body has been through a lot and the radiation stays in your system for up to 12 months. Things will get better but very slowly. It can be frustrating but you will get there.

Keep us posted. 

Ssrah x

• Sorry you are feeling like this, but as everyone on here will tell you things do improve and you are in the early stages post treatment.   I had very good care and advice but was never told about the late effects I read the Macmillan book and the comments on this site (which help a lot).

It is almost two years since I finished treatment.    I got through that pretty well apart from soreness and bowel changes.   The district nurses who visited in the early days after treatment (to check out my skin) told me about the effects of pelvic radiotherapy and how the bowel 'did not like the interference' from the radiation.

I have recently realised things seem to be getting back to normal, but still have 'strange toilet days'.   I alway wear a pantiliner when going out, tight fitting trousers irrirate me and white or cream trousers are a definite No!   I always like to know where the toilets are when out, in fact this has become quite an obsession.

Hope it helps to know you are not alone.   I think it is a small price to pay to be here cancer free and able to enjoy life with my family and see my grandchildren growing up!

• Hi Ginny  

I was told by my oncologist that I would never be the same  "down there". 

I am now almost 6 years since I was diagnosed and still have a few problems but I take 3 Loperamide tablets a day 1 in the morning at 2 at night. This keeps me safe from having any mishaps. I can eat almost anything but peel all fruits to avoid to  much fibre. For you it is still early days, your appetite will improve and  so will your motivation, you are most likely suffering from fatigue. I found this difficult to come to terms with, as everything was such an effort, but again  this passes. I am now 76 and still look after my four grandchildren. They do make me tired but also kerp me going.

Hang on in there, it will get better, 

All the best  Valerie     

• Thank you. Not feeling alone in this struggle helps me a lot. I guess I need to get used to the new normal, and be patient while there is slow improvement.

• You are an inspiration to me. Thanks!

• Just keep chatting on here and I am sure you will find it a great relief.    Our type of cancer isn't easy to talk about, is it?

You'be got to have been through it to realise and help.

Beryl