Bleeding post 4 months

• 4 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hi guys. Finished treatment just over 4 months. 3month follow up was clear which is great. But I had a bit of a dicky tummy for a week or so and then a little constipation ans now seeing streaks of blood on Pooh. I know the skin will still be weak and straining may just have grazed - or at least that’s what I’m hoping. Next follow up is six weeks. Should I just wait and see if it settles again and pick up at check up or call the cancer nurses team? I feel like I’m never getting away from worrying all the time. 

• Hi  this is extremely common after treatment, as you say the skin is sensitive. We have a lot of posts about this issue. Even two and a half years post treatment, I still get streaks of watery blood on the toilet paper occasionally. Just after treatment the blood on the toilet paper was not as watery and happened a bit more often. My Oncologist was not concerned at all when I told him & advised it was down to the thin and damaged skin in the back passage. To put your mind at rest I’d give your nursing team a quick call, you don’t want to be worrying about this for the next six weeks. Bev 

• Cheers Bev. It’s amazing how much a cancer diagnosis can strip you of your confidence with everything being an anxiety. I appreciate all the help and support all on this forum have and continue to give - especially when feel a little vulnerable and scared. 

• Hi  yes I can definitely relate to everything becoming an anxiety! We’re always here whenever you need us. Bev. 

• Hi ,

3.5 years on from treatment this still alarms me when it happens. I’ve been assured by my oncologist that it’s normal & is generally the radiation affected skin that splits internally & I shouldn’t worry unless the bleeding is heavy or prolonged which it never is. When I first finished treatment it happened quite regularly now 3.5 years on it’s probably only happened 2 or 3 times over the last 12 months. I still mention it at my check-ups just so my surgeon is aware. This is generally connected with a difficult bowel movement in my case. Hope this reassures you a little. 

Nicola