Transfusion experiences

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hello, my elderly father was diagnosed with AML just before Christmas and is on supportive care. Yesterday he had his first transfusion and it took so long poor dad didn't get home until midnight. Now he has just told me he has to go in again for more blood tomorrow. Poor dad is so exhausted and doesn't seem to feel any better. Just wondering what other peoples experiences are with transfusions for AML

• Hi  and welcome across to this corner of the Community but sorry to see you having to find us and more sorry to hear about your dad. This is a hard time for the family as you see your father having these medical problems.

Although I have a different type of blood cancer I can appreciate the challenges of having transfusions. I have had many over my years of treatment and yes, these can at times take a long long time.....I  have found myself sitting for 8 hours for 2 units.

His counts may well that low that he will have to have a number of units to make a real difference...... and low blood counts can bring very bad exhaustion. I do hope things improve for him quickly.

This period of time is hard for the family and the care required can be demanding - talking to others doing this type of care (regardless of the type of cancer) could help you. 

Can I direct you to this link to our very supportive Supporting Someone with Incurable CancerCarers OnlyFriends and Family groups as this will open up your concerns to a wider audience who know exactly what you are going through at the moment.

Just follow the links I have created then hit the ‘Join This Group’ tab just under the main group name, then go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab and set up your very own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group and ask your questions.

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00 This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’. section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thanks Mike, that's very helpful

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello

I did have lots of transfusions during my AML treatment, I was an inpatient and was 39 so perhaps different.  Have you spoken with his CNS?  I found my really helpful and reassuring if there was anything going on that I wasn't sure of... I could email her any questions if she wasn't available

best, Anna

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks Anna, I'll do that