Travel insurance for going to states for cancer treatment

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hello!

Does anyone have experience arranging travel insurance to cover a trip to the states for cancer treatment.

We already have medical insurance for the states - it’s more for flying related costs - our oncologist gave the example - if they have to land the plane due to a seizure who pays the bill from the airline? Apparently this can by £500k+ FlushedFlushedFlushed

I’ve spent 4 hours calling companies and all say it’s because we are travelling for treatment that we can’t be covered by them.  My husband has brain cancer.

we fly in the morning.

thanks in advance!!!

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I haven't had to get travel insurance to cover treatment abroad and usually most insurance companies won't cover you if you're going abroad for treatment.

I have found this thread and this one where people were asking the same question as you. I think in both cases they weren't able to find any but you could reply to them and ask. However, as you're flying tomorrow morning there's every chance you won't get a reply in time unfortunately.

I don't know whether you've looked through the Recommended Travel Insurance thread yet as it's where we try to keep recommendations from other forum members who have obtained travel insurance. Clicking on the link I've created will take you directly to it if you haven't seen it. I don't know if any of the companies listed there provide the type of cover you need though.

I've just had a look online for you and found that if you type in something along the lines of "cover for medical treatment abroad" it does bring up a few companies that say they will insure people who are travelling abroad for treatment. I don't know if you've already tried these companies and found them too expensive though.

If you do get insurance it would be really useful if you could let me know for future enquiries.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thank you so much for your reply - at least I know i’m not missing an easy solution - I guess most people travelling for treatment just risk it with either no insurance or just not saying they are travelling for insurance - we will certainly have to also if we don’t find someone thing as we HAVE to go - it’s our only option Shrug

Now I can’t decide whether to get travel insurance and not say we are travelling for treatment or whether there’s any point as it would no doubt be void?  

What do people do? 

• Hi KatieKat1

Having worked in the insurance industry in the past I can say that it would be very unlikely that any claim would be met. It is a standard inclusion on the policy that you are NOT traveling abroad for treatment. Unless you can find a company that will lift this I think you would find out that in the unfortunate event of having to make a claim then the insurer would state that you have not been 'full and frank' when you took out the policy, and that you travelling for treatment is not covered. I think the chances of the purpose of your visit not coming out would be very unlikely as medical reports could be requested before any large claim is paid out.

Sorry, I know this is not the info you were hoping to hear but I think buying a policy when you know it is has an exclusion that is relevant is not giving you the cover and peace of mind you want and need. 

Good luck to you and your husband.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to TracyP

Thanks so much for your comment  I understand and just pray we have no issues xx

• Hi

I know you've said that you're flying tomorrow but do you really have no choice but for your husband to have treatment in America?

I'm just so worried for you. If either of you need medical help while in the States you could be faced with astronomical hospital bills.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"