Recommended travel insurance 2023-24

• 112 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hi everyone, 

We have received some feedback that you would like a more recent recommended travel insurance thread set up. 

The lovely @latchbrook set up the original 'recommended travel insurance thread' which you can still view here. Just so you don't have to go through the different pages of information to find recent recommendations, you can find the most recent experiences in this thread. 

Please note, all recommendations are from Community members and are not recommendations from Macmillan. Please do your own research as to whether the companies are suitable for you. 

This thread can be used to update the group when you've found an insurance company that provided you with cover at a reasonable cost from a recommendation you found here or elsewhere. 

If you could put a little bit of additional information eg. whether you got a single trip or annual, cover for a cruise, worldwide, etc along with anything else that you think others would find helpful when they are researching that would be great.

You may also find reading Macmillan's 'Finding travel insurance when you are living with cancer' blog useful

• Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with getting cover for Australia or anything similar?  My husband has stage 4 prostate cancer, and he really wants to go to Australia while he still can.  InsuranceWith will cover us and the premium is very reasonable, however the problem we have is that the maximum cover for cancellation is £5,000.  3 weeks in Oz is currently coming out at more than that.  I've tried AllClear who will also cover us but again only up to £5,000.  Does anyone know if anyone who may cover us for more?  The medical cover is fine so do we take the chance that if we do have to cancel we will ne out of pocket for anything over £5,000 or is it not that simple?  Although my husband is doing very well at the moment given he is stage 4 we don't know if things will change so the possibility of having to cancel is there, but he says if he become too unwell to travel at that point losing £2 or 3k will be the least of our problems!  

• Hi NorfolkExile 

• If it helps, my understanding is that if you and your husband both book on the same policy the maximum cancellation cover is £5k per person,  ie £10K total
  • Thank you so much richardh55!  I had never thought of it being per person, I assumed it was for the policy!  Just checked and yes it does say per person.  Teach me not to read it properly lol Grinning.  That's made a massive difference to us, I was really worried about going ahead but no need now, hubby will be made up.

Thank you.

• Also in case you missed it (it's on their Facebook feed) Insurancewith are currently offering a 20% discount on base prices. Use the code SUNSHINE23 

• Thank you, that's really useful.  Different problem now though, not sure he will get a visa as they have a health requirement.  Something about cost and strain on the health system if you are likely to need treatment.  Cancer is apparently one of the reasons they reject on. Trying to look into it.

• Hi. We just used a comparison site called  medical travel compared which brings together quotes from insurers who will insure on pre existing conditions. We ended up going with a company called make sure. Of course you only ever find out how good your insurer is when claim and hopefully you won't have to. However their online process was simple aclear, I feel we were able to give accurate information to get an appropriate quote and no need for phone calls.  Fingers crossed! We needed single trip insurance covering America and Caribbean .Hope the info is useful someone x

• Sounds good what is the link to this comparison site?.

Regards

KenW

KenW

• Hi. It's www.medicaltravelcompared.co.uk/.../. 

• Thank you everyone for all your interesting comments. I am trying to get travel insurance for my husband as we want to go for a relaxing week break in Majorca but I have tried all your suggestions and they have just shut the door on me every time,   He has been told that he has an incurable terminal diagnosis for prostate cancer although he has a few years left yet but still they are not interested in listening. All we want is a week relaxing in the sun.  I am so upset about it but feel we either cancel or go without insurance. Just don’t know what to do.  

• Hi Dorch

We are in the same boat as you as my husband also has stage 4 prostate cancer, sorry to hear you are on this awful journey too. Have you tried insurancewith?  They insured us for Cuba and Mexico recently.  I think the issue is around the terminal question.  My husband's cancer is incurable but he still has treatment options which are keeping his PSA undetectable for now.  I queried the question 'have you reached the point where the doctor says you cannot be cured, so treatment is intended to extend or improve quality of life' and I was told to say no to this question.  I don't want to pry into medical details but where you say he has a few years left it sounds like we are in similar situations.  Perhaps give insurancewith a call, there are a lot of questions but they are very helpful.  Good luck I hope you get something sorted.