Trip to Canada

• 4 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi, I'm new to the group and looking for any information on holiday insurance for six week trip to Canada to visit my brother, and possibly America. My husband has secondary Prostate cancer, diagnosed in November 2021. He is undergoing hormone/steroid  therapy in daily tablet form with injections every three months. I would be most grateful for any help. Kindest Regards, GrannyMoe

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

A trip to Canada and America sounds lovely but, unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis. 

I used payingtoomuch.com last year to cover both myself and my husband and thought they were a reasonable price. They also paid out without too much effort when we had to cancel.

Have you had chance to look at the recommendations in the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet? If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. You might also want to look at this thread as it includes a link to a Travel Insurance Directory. 

Most people recommend that it's best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also, sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Do come back and let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you for getting in touch and giving me a lot of helpful information and links to companies. I will take your advice and phone the companies. I will certainly let you know how it goes. Thank you again. Kindest regards. X

• I have spent most of the afternoon trying to find travel insurance, with no luck. I went online and phoned several companies. A few wouldn’t give me a quote, but said to phone them, which I did, just to be told the same thing. I then phoned a broker who gave me a quote of £4500+. I then tried a comparison site which gave me the ridiculous quote of £18,175. I think  It’s the fact we want to go to Canada that is making it so expensive. 

• I'm sorry to read that you haven't had any success getting reasonably priced travel insurance. I think you might be right that the sticking point could be that you want to go to North America where medical bills are notoriously expensive.

Please don't give up though if you haven't tried all those recommended yet, as you never know.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"