Going to Ireland, Prognosis / Travel Insurance?

• 6 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi there

I am travelling to Ireland at the beginning of August, driving and taking the ferry.

I have started trying to get travel insurance (to cover medical situations like repatriation from hospital or if my body needed to be flown home). I have applied for the GHIC.

I have recently got my Irish passport due to my mother being Irish. I have a UK passport too and live in Birmingham UK.

I approached Staysure, as fellow Kidney cancer sufferers told me that that was the one most likely to insure. When I rang them they asked what my prognosis was. I said I didn’t currently have one, and have only every been given one prognosis of 3 - 6 months, 2 years ago. Since then I have been on immunotherapy and been quite well. They said they would not be able to insure me unless the consultant was prepared to give me a diagnosis of at least 6 months beyond my return from holiday date. I have now asked the question but have not yet had an answer.

I do have a new tumour in my remaining kidney and I have been waiting for treatment for months now. I don’t know if the consultant will be prepared to give me a 6months + diagnosis in this situation.

Can anyone recommend other insurers to try where the terminal diagnosis or lack of prognosis was not an issue? Thanks 

• A company called "Insureance With" is the place to go to.  I ran a trial case through online and for me, they gave me a decision online after a lot of dynamic online Q&A on their website.  Quote was £60 for me for a week in Europe.  Multiple members on here have good things to say about their quotes and their availability of quotes for us.  The moderators frequently remove website references on here for security reasons, so I hope you can follow this ok:  www [dot] insureancewith dot com. 

• Many thanks. I'll give them a try

• Sorry I am late with a suggestion but I would question the need for insurance for a trip to Ireland outside of one that covers everything excluding your cancer (i.e. car accident, slips and trips etc).  I do not know your personal situation, but northern Ireland is only a relatively short drive from most of the Republic - somewhat like London to Newcastle.  You could return to the UK NHS system if you needed emergency help for your cancer??  Clearly there are a whole load of risks not covered by the exclusion such as the ferry, hotels and other bookings, but they may have their own cancellation clauses that are more amenable in these post Covid days. 

I hope you manage to get away.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Many thanks Peter. It's the cost of repatriation if I were to end up in hospital and need transfer back to Birmingham that costs a lot. (Or if my body needed to be flown home). But the likelihood of these situations is small. You raise a valid point. 

• Buy the way, I tried insurance with. Went through loads of online questions identifying my health situation and what meds I'm on etc. At the end of it all I was declined. 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that insurancewith.com turned you down for travel insurance and wondered if you'd looked through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. You might also want to look at this thread as it includes a link to a Travel Insurance Directory. 

Most people recommend that it's best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Do come back and let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"