Expat health insurance

• 7 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi, we need health insurance to be able to get a visa for Spain. Of course we are having trouble. Any solutions out there?

2017 Breast Cancer, surgery and tamoxifen (still got 5 years to go on tamoxifen)

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm not sure if expat health insurance is the same as travel insurance but, if it is, you might like to have a look through the recommended travel insurance thread which is where the majority of recommendations from other members are. Clicking on the link I've created will take you straight to it.

You might also want to look at this thread as it includes a link to a Travel Insurance Directory. 

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Latchbrook - unfortunately they are different with travel insurance only being designed for short trips and health insurance for residency / visas including things like outpatient care, non-emergency surgery and dental. If I do get any joy I'll post about it as I can't be the only one in this position Grinning

• I thought that was probably the case .

I've searched this group for any previous posts which mention expat health insurance but drawn a blank I'm afraid. I then widened the search to include all groups within the online community but still no joy Disappointed

Hope you manage to get sorted.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Aspiring Spaniard,

We needed to get insurance to obtain the right of residency in Cyprus. We were fortunate in that we were in Cyprus at the time, and we contacted Universal Life there. Long story short, we eventually got the insurance, but had to supply medical records pertaining to disclosed medical history (my cancer in particular), and so it took a good few weeks. Although we’re not covered for these conditions, the immigration authorities only looked at the fact that the insurance is valid. Hope this helps!

• Many thanks for this - it looks hopeful

• Hi Aspiring Spaniard, I've read this thread with great interest. My wife and I are in a similar position, struggling to find the health insurance we need to obtain a visa to live in Spain. Today I've been given contact details of someone at ALC Health and, although early, the signs look positive. 

I was wondering if you'd made any progress since you posted that last message and, if so, whether you would share any tips.

Many thanks

• Hi! I am sure insurance for a person who wants to get a residence permit and stay in the country and tourist insurance are different. I think you should contact the insurance company directly and clarify these issues. For example, if you are not a tourist in the USA, you need to learn about Medigap plans Rhode Island and, accordingly, in Spain, there should be similar medical insurance for expats. You need to contact your lawyer or insurance company to clarify all the details.