Cruise travel insurance

• 2 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Our children have booked us a cruise to norway for next october. 

My husband had chemo, surgery etc for oesophageal cancer in 2020, weve just found out its back in 2 lymph nodes so incurable. 

Hes feeling better than hes been for 2 years, no synptoms. It was found by accident while having a ct, so they are monitoring him every 3 months and he will have chemo at some point.

Im wondering if hes still doing well by next october and not having chemo, are we even going to get insurance??? 

And do i try and get it now as a annual trip that will cover the cruise while hes having no treatment or wait and see what happens nearer the time?

Its a minefield

• My recent experience says that you will not get acceptably priced insurance that covers the cancer - especially after Covid has hit the insurance market.

I bank with Nationwide and they will cover me for risks not associated with my cancer, which has been recently treated.  I am happy to accept that risk as we will book last minute and I know that I am unlikely to get ill enough from the cancer to require treatment abroad or repatriation.  That is my risk profile and I am happy with that.  In your situation you may not be comfortable.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi

What a lovely present from your children and I do hope that you can get travel insurance so that you can go.

As you have probably found it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis.

I don't know if you've had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. You might also want to look at this thread as it includes a link to a Travel Insurance Directory.

Lots of people here recommend that it's best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Make sure that you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of things an insurance provider might want to know when you're applying for insurance. Some providers might ask for a letter from your doctor saying that you are well enough to travel. This could come from your cancer team or GP.

Do come back and let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"