Urgent help needed

• 1 reply
  • 20 subscribers

We are due to take my mother in law to Malta on the 3rd October. She has terminal cancer and has outlived her prognosis which was given until May this year. We need to insure her in case anything happens on the aircraft. She has dual nationality for UK and Malta. Can anyone recommend an insurer who may insure her and that hopefully is not extortionate? Any idea what requirements they have, ie underwriting etc? Many thanks in advance. 

• Hi and welcome to the online community

A trip to Malta sounds lovely but unfortunately it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis.

I don't know if you've had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there.

It is best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Make sure that you have all the information to hand about your mother-in-law's diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of things an insurance provider might want to know when you're applying for insurance. Some providers might ask for a letter from your mother-in-law's  doctor saying that she is well enough to travel. This could come from her cancer team or GP.

I do hope that you can get some reasonably priced insurance and that you all have a great time!

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"