Can't Find Travel Insurance

• 29 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi 

I wonder if anyone can help!  I have always used Insurancewith for my travel insurance, but I have just been trying to buy a weeks cover for Spain in August and they aren't selling new policies at the moment. 

I went through the signposting service on the Money & Pension Advice Service, as recommended to help me find travel insurance and everyone turned me down for a quote other than All Clear, but they wanted over £400 for a weeks cover and then tried to pressure me into buying it saying it was a today only price and the price could go up if I called back tomorrow.  I felt so upset and pressured, Insurancewith quoted me under £100 for the same over at the beginning of the month, I wish I had taken that out then, but we hadn't had our holiday confirmed until this week, not it looks like I can't afford to go now, with the cost of the insurance and PCR tests etc.  I have metastatic cancer, but my tumors are stable, why is it so difficult to get a reasonable quote?  I hope Insurancewith start to sell policies again soon, or it looks like I won't be getting away anytime soon.

Any advice greatfully received

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hello!  I was wondering if because it is Switzerland that’s why it’s even higher in cost.  I think the EHIC may cover some public hospital costs but I know for Switzerland it is not covered.  The UK are negotiating some form of reciprocal cover but nothing has been agreed at the moment.  I was wondering whether we could get insurance which doesn’t cover the cancer but I am guessing insurers would want to cover given the increased risk of Covid.  Good idea about the lotto ticket!  

• As I want to go to Africa which is still on the red list it is unlikely that I'll be able to go this year anyway. I'm not really bothered about cover for cancer, more for accidental injuries as I'd be riding horses out on safari. But if I didn't declare the cancer beforehand they would use that as a reason not to cover anything else 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to LauraTT

Hi LauraTT,

Am definitely going to try for exclusion cover for my cancer. The upside of being in the stage 4 club is having a different perspective on dying. Definitely go for it when one is still able. Maybe give Stay Sure a try? They said they can give me a quote for with or without cover for Cancer.  But like with every broker I spoke to, they all wanted to know my life expectancy before proceeding. So do have all that info from your oncologist to save the hassle. Am still waiting on my oncologist to return my call.  It's such a tick the box exercise and being defined. So I do find that rather upsetting as thankfully am still well and able and just want to make most of my time.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Peregrine,  hope you can get a reasonable quote for cover without cancer cover included.  It would be good to know how you get on once you have a report from your oncologist.  My Mum has a appointment with her oncologist in early Sep and hopefully her scans will be in late Aug so hoping we can get some good news and try to get a quote from StaySure with information ready.  I am trying to leave as long as possible before purchasing the insurance.  I’m sure my family members will say I am crazy to think about spending so much on the trip but my Mum means the world to me and I want us both to hopefully have some special memories from this trip.  

• I have cover through my bank account for travel excluding the cancer.  Like many I am not worried about that as I don't foresee any occasion at this stage where I can't complete my holiday and return to the UK for treatment - that may change as things progress.  The issue is that many package holidays are insisting that ALL medical conditions are covered as part of their Ts&Cs.  Which negates any options at the moment for travel without that condition being covered.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to PFJTHS

That really is making it so difficult if not impossible to go on holiday without paying an arm and a leg..  Unfortunately I believe banks also only insure people under a certain age.  I checked with my bsnk and it is 70.  Unfortunately the country from where my friends travelling with us were coming from have just imposed a 21 day quarantine in a hotel  on anyone arriving from Switzerland so we have postponed our holiday.  Hopefully it means we can get more options for travel insurance next year if the trip does ever go ahead!

• Yes it's so frustrating Peter!

• Good luck for next year.  My bank doesn't offer travel insurance but my disabled mother is 89 now and with Nat West and has paid a monthly fee for years (together with other 'extras' she doesn't need) for her bank account which has worked out cheaper for her for cover when we visit Australia to see family (post Covid obviously). 

• Hi Tessa I'm in a similar position with stage 4 breast cancer and just wanted to go to Spain for a week in the end I found a really good company called MIA travel insurance through Money and Pensions site.