Travel when mum has cancer and isnt travelling

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered before- I have searched and couldn't find an answer.

My mum has been diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer.  I am looking to buy travel insurance for my honeymoon later this year that will cover cancelling due to her dying/deteriorating.

I cannot find a company that covers this situation- there are ones that cover the person with cancer but not if you're not travelling with them. The only option I have found so far is Virgin who require a doctor signing off it is unlikely her health will worsen in the next 6 month's- which they won't as it will...

Surely this must be incredibly common for people given how many people are impacted by cancer - can someone please help me?

Thank you in advance! 

Charlotte 

• Hi 

Welcome to the online community.

I don't know which travel insurance companies other than Virgin that you've already tried but 

If you go the Travel insurance blogs you can see what other members have been talking about and their own experiences with travel insurance.

Another way of looking for information is to use the search bar near the top of the page to search for old threads covering what you're looking for.

Again I don't know if they'll provide you with cover to cancel your holiday or return early if you need to but they'd be a good place to start. 

Let us know how you get on and I hope you can find someone to cover you.

x

[edited by admin]

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi  

Have you already booked your honeymoon?

I'm wondering if there's a chance you and your fiance could take a short break (the so-called 'minimoon') after the wedding, perhaps somewhere in the UK, or somewhere in Europe where you can book a hotel that can be cancelled and flights that can be delayed if things develop badly for your mum, and then take your main 'big' honeymoon in a year or so.

And if you have already booked, have you contacted your airline or holiday company to explain the situation and ask about options to delay your trip?

Of course it would be great if you can find insurance, but given the circumstances that you describe, it may well be very difficult.

I can also imagine that as your mother's condition gets worse, you might want to think about bringing the wedding forward, perhaps having a small registry office ceremony whilst she is with you and then converting your main event into a blessing rather than the legally binding event. If you call a local registrar, they would be able to advise you on how that might work. I think under normal conditions you need to give 28 days notice but if you call the registrar, they may be able to arrange things more quickly. I found this link to one registrar where it says under circumstances like yours they may be able to speed things up so your mum can be with you.

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

The Eurotunnel policy seems to cover this. 

If you really can't find any cover, then I would just take the risk. The worst that happens is that you lose a few £thousand of prepaid costs.  Not great, but it won't bankrupt you.

• Hi

I wondered if you'd had any success with obtaining travel insurance to cover you and your future husband if you had to cancel your holiday or come back early because of your mum's cancer? The reason I'm asking is that someone else is also looking for this type of insurance.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi

Still absolutely no luck I'm sorry to report Disappointed

Tried almost all of the cancer specific ones and most mainstream ones now... seems it's too risky for them to what to insure us!

• Oh, that's a real shame but thanks for letting me know.

x

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Charlotte,

I'm aware that your post was some time ago, but I was wondering if you ever managed to find insurance?  I'm asking as I'm in the same situation as you were.