Just a thought dump

• 2 replies
  • 14 subscribers

I had been feeling better emotionally than I had expected after surgery on Monday, but I can feel the darker thoughts trying to push forward and am having to dig out the mask. Think it might be linked to having four different people come and visit over the past 24 hours and all of the positivity about "doing well" and "being strong" and advice about not doing too much etc. I just want to hibernate 

• Hi B74

I'm Steph from the Community team, I just wanted to check in and see how you're doing now?

You might have just felt like dumping your thoughts and closing the door, but I wanted to make sure that you know what support is available, should you need it. 

Lots of members here on the Community will identify with you struggling with positivity from well-meaning people. Our recent blog called 'When good intentions hurt: Exploring toxic positivity and conversations about cancer'  shared conversations from around the Community where members reporting feeling similarly. 

You're certainly not alone, B74, so please do keep chatting here in the forums as it can be helpful just to be able to share how you're really feeling with people who understand.

In addition to talking through your feelings on the Community, you might also find it helpful to call our Support Line for a chat. We're here for you  7 days a week, 8am-8pm on freephone 0808 808 00 00email or live webchat.

In addition to talking to someone who is there to listen, we can help you find ongoing support to suit your needs. This might include free counselling through BUPA, a Macmillan Buddy, and other focused support. 

I hope this is helpful, but please do reach out to us by email at community@macmillan.org.uk if you would like further help with the Online Community.

Steph
    Online Community Officer
  • Thanks Steph, I appreciate your reply. I am just finding it tiring wearing the mask of being fine. I have used the online chat, but it feels a little dangerous right now if I let myself explore how I feel.