Death Rattle end of life

• 3 replies
  • 14 subscribers

An update on my uncle. It will be 7 weeks tomorrow he was diagnosed with stage 4 liver cancer. He was offered no treatment and the cancer had already spread. He’s held on for so long and it feels like such a long journey. 

from caring for him at home he has now been moved to a hospice 6 days ago and it takes a great deal of pressure of us knowing he is getting the professional care he needs. He’s surround by an amazing medical team at the Sue Ryder hospice Manorlands. 

they are now keeping him comfortable. Within the last 5 days he’s had a sryinge driver put in to administer morphine. Last 48 hours he’s gone from being a little more alert to unconscious. He can still hear us and tries to acknowledge us by flickering his eyes although he is too weak to fully open them. Since yesterday that rattle of secretions in the back of his throat has emerged. He is currently at 10 breaths per minute so the reality is that he is in the stages of actively dying. I wanted to know if anyone could share experiences of this rattle and how long this lingered as we’re currently on a countdown of when he takes his last breaths. It has been since yesterday he has had this. I suppose the next hours are crucial as drs cannot predict a timescale. I just wanted anyone who can share their own experiences. 

• Hi  

I'm very sorry to read about your uncle and I know what a distressing time this will be for you all. 

I can't help with your question but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list.

Sending virtual ((hugs))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• With a heavy heart my dear uncle passed away in the early hours of Wednesday morning. Due to religious reasons the funeral took place a few hours later. His breathing rate increased massively and suddenly stopped. He was a very humble strong man with a lot of patience. Never once in these last 4 weeks did he complain about pain and things becoming unbearable. He really did leave this world with grace and dignity. The grieving process begins and we try to go about our lives with a different kind of normality. He is a huge loss to our family. I can’t believe that being told he had 3-6 months to live he was taken from us less than 2 months after diagnosis. What an amazing man he was. He takes a price of us with him and I just hope and pray he is at peace away from any pain and suffering. 

• I'm so sorry to read this  

He sounds like a wonderful man.

((hugs))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"