Horrible way of dying

• 3 replies
  • 18 subscribers

My husband was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer which has spread to his lymph nodes, liver and lungs.  He is on a support care regime only.  They can’t give a time scale but a few months at most is likely. His is in the palliative care system.

He is at home, and he is deeply distressed.  He is short of breath, he has nausea, severe constipation, is now eating almost nothing, and his mobility reduces every day.  He does not have significant pain, but is in tears several times a day.  The doctor is changing his drugs for nausea , but that seems to be about all that can be done.  He cannot concentrate so cannot do any of the things he enjoyed in the past.  He struggles in and out of bed to go to the toilet and have a shower, but soon he won’t be able to do that for himself. He can come downstairs to watch TV but gets little pleasure from that now.

I can look after basic physical needs but can do nothing to help his mental state.  He wishes it was all over.  Is there anything that can be done?

• Hello epzcaw and a warm welcome to the forum. I am so sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis and the distressing time you are both going through. I too have terminal cancer, and have access to my hospice and their palliative care team, which i hope you do. My hospice offers me counselling, which has helped me through difficult times and they do home counselling too though i know this is not universal, If your palliative care team are hospice based they may be able to help. I know Macmillan do phone counselling too, 0808 808 00 00. I wish i could be more helpful, best wishes to you both.

Eddie

• Hello  

I’m Steph and I’m part of the Online Community Team here at Macmillan. May I wish you another warm welcome to the Community, although I’m sorry that circumstances bring you here. I hope you find the site to be a safe place of comfort and kindness. 

I’m reaching out to offer some additional support, as we noticed your post talking of your husband's distress, nausea and extreme constipation.

It’s important that your GP is kept informed about any new or worsening symptoms and how it’s really impacting your husband’s quality of life. They will be the best people to assess and provide any new medication or other practical support your husband might benefit from.

You may have been given a 24 hour hospital telephone number or you could contact NHS on 111 to be assessed (24 hours a day).

I hope you will keep posting here to let us know how you're getting on.

If you’d like to talk anything through with someone at Macmillan, I’d encourage you to contact the Support Line for emotional, practical and financial support. Even if you just want to chat with someone who is there to listen, I’d really encourage you to give us a call.  Our Support Line teams are available 7 days a week, 8am-8pm on freephone 0808 808 00 00email or live webchat.

We have some information here to help support you when your loved one has cancer. There are various sections that you might want to have a read through, especially around the nursing and hospice support that might be available in your local area.

How are you feeling epzcaw? It's important that you have some support in place for yourself as you go through this distressing time with your husband. There are also some ideas in the link above around seeking support as a carer.

I hope you find the support you’re looking for. Please do let us know if you have any questions or need further support with anything at all. I hope the Community helps to show you that you don’t have to go through this alone.

Steph
    Online Community Officer
  • I’m not sure if I can be of any help but I have been where you are. My husbands GP prescribed him anti depressants which took a couple of weeks to kick in but did help his mental state for a while. Sending hugs x