Struggles with family relationships and palliative care

• 2 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Boy am I overwhelmed! I have a parent whose cancer has come back and hes been diagnosed as palliative within 9 days! Hes been told he only has weeks to live, short months if hes lucky. How can the world change so much in a little over a week?! 

I'm really struggling with his prognosis and the dynamics of the family at the moment. It's so hard to navigate all of my feelings and emotions. He has a relatively new girlfriend and she seems to come before anyone and anything despite them being together only a short time. And she smothers him constantly so its difficult to get a minute. Am I being selfish thinking about myself at such a time? Am I being a pushover? I'm I trying to make a relationship work out of fear of regret when he's gone when it's really not worth it? 

I really don't know what to do. He always wants me when he needs me, but when I want to visit to just spend time with him, he says it's too much and it takes it out of him. Do I just leave him because that's what he wants and risk regretting not being there and spending time with him when he's gone? Or do I just show up and try spend time with him, risking him turning me away and hurting me even more. He has a new girlfriend and seems to want only her, no one else. Unless she's unavailable that is. 

Why is it so hard?? In 2 weeks he might not be here anymore. My nice memories will forever be overshadowed by feelings of being so unwanted and insignificant in his final days. I feel I need to step back and give him space he seems to want, but have in the back of my head that I may never actually see him again. 

I don't know if the point of this post was to ask for advice, to just rant or an attempt at gaining some form of validation. Goodness only knows. But thank you for taking the time to read this if you got this far Xxx

• Hi MTBH24,

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation, that news must be a shock. It's tough knowing that our parents have a limited amount of time left and we would want to spend some quality time with them. Looks like you're in a tricky situation, there's no right or wrong answer. I would say follow your gut instincts, then at least you can say "I've tried my best to follow my heart and did what I can" I guess the main thing is that there's no regret on your side. But then everyone is different, personally for me I have a big thing about feeling guilty (my dad has terminal bowel cancer). If I put myself in your shoes, it's a tough decision to make, respect your parent or just turn up uninvited and see what happens.

From a different perspective, the diagnosis is quite recent, it's a shock to the system, maybe he hasn't fully processed the news yet, it hasn't sunk in and he's not ready to face people, those nearing the end-of-life conversations are so difficult. I guess we all handle it differently, so it doesn't mean you're unwanted or insignificant. 

Sorry, I'm not much help in giving you advice. I just want to say that I understand how difficult it is. We want to see our parents, especially under these circumstances. I hope you can find a solution! 

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read that your parent has been given bad news and has not got much time left. It's understandable that you want to spend time with him but as I have incurable cancer myself, I understand exactly what he means when he says it takes it out of him. I love to see my family but I find it draining so I have to set limits. 

Would it be worth asking them if there is anything you can do to help. That would be a way of seeing him and helping out but is less pressure on him to make conversation etc. There is no easy answer and it is a difficult situation for you all. Take light steps and offer help, if it is rebuffed then you'll know that you tried. Best wishes to you and your family.

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm