How best to support my friend?

• 1 reply
  • 14 subscribers

I feel like things have happened so quickly that I can't imagine how my friend is getting their head around it. 

After being told they had incurable cancer, they found out that chemo isn't an option as their liver function is now too low. 

Apart from giving them time to digest it with their family, I would be really grateful to hear about any suggestions on how I can best support them? Xx

• Hello Friend32

Welcome to the Online Community. I hope that you will find them as informative and supportive as I have done. 

I am very sorry to hear about your friend being diagnosed with cancer that is incurable. It must have come as a huge shock to you all.  

I think giving them a little time to digest the news with their family is a good thing and it will give them time for the initial shock to be processed. It's a huge thing to be told and like you say hard to imagine getting your head around it.

Although chemo is not an option, it may well be that there is something else that they can offer to support your friend to help control the cancer and help with any symptoms they are having. Your friend will not be alone and there will be a team around her to support her. 

During my diagnosis and treatment I found people offered support and these are some of the things that helped me. Maybe some of them may help your friend?...............

shopping/ help with travel to hospital/help with collecting prescriptions/ just having a chat - sometimes about the cancer but sometimes just about normal things/ help with organising appointments/preparing meals/ snacks/ help with pets/ children/ housework

Also little things I appreciated were little cards/notes/messages- just sort of thinking of you and if you need anything just ask types. Care parcels- one lady dropped off a little basket with a few bits and bobs, hand gel, hand creams etc. That really helped as on days when I felt most unwell I didn't have to keep getting up and down to wash my hands. Sometimes its the little things. 

Just knowing that there is someone who cares and wants to support will be a big help and just be led by what they want. Sometimes it may just be a change of scene, a coffee, a short walk on days they feel better. Sometimes it helps just knowing there is someone you can call and speak to at anytime.

I hope this helps a little but if there is anything else we can do for you, your friend or their family please do ask. If you think talking to someone would help then the Support Line number is below and they are lovely on there. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm