Help

• 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers

Hi everyone. My elderly mum was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with stage 4 lung cancer and has spread to her spleen, like vet and lungs. The consultant gave her a timescale of a couple of days to 2 weeks therefore I brought her home to care for her and have moved temporarily into her house. My dad has early stage vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s and although he is aware that she is terminally ill, I don’t think he can retain this. No one in my family has had cancer before therefore I’m totally new to this. One day my mam is lucid and engaging in conversation then the next she is sleepy all of the time and has some aggression. She hasn’t eaten for 2 weeks and is now taking little fluids and is unable to drink from a cup due to coughing. I feel totally isolated from the world as my mam has me up most nights to care for her which I don’t mind but feel envious that my sisters get to visit in hour slots then go and get in with their lives. I have always cared for my mum and dad and wouldn’t have it any other way but then feel guilty for being envious of everyone else.  

• Hi Heather,

This is all fairly new to me aswell - My dad was diagnosed out the blue about 6 weeks ago with stage 4 lung cancer which had spread to the spleen and has a brain tumour, however my dad is still mobile to some degree and the last timescale we were given was about 6 months - He lives with me and I wouldn't change that, but I do too have moments (sometimes longer) of the feelings where I am envious of my friends and my brother, living their lives whilst I support my dad in whatever he needs whenever he needs. But likewise I wouldn't change it.  I also do then find myself feeling guilty for thinking like that, I'm finding it a real rollacoaster ride of emotions. 

Whilst I dont have any pearls of wisdom, I think its only natural to feel that way, eventhough we both wouldn't wouldn't change it. I really just wanted to say that your not alone!

I do hope that there is a little relief getting it off your chest, even if it just typing away. It certainly did me.

Sending virtual hugs! Stay strong.