Cancer that likes to share

• 2 replies
  • 19 subscribers

My partner has kidney cancer and it's spread to his lung, it's in both kidneys and his ardenal glands. He is also going to see a cardiologist tomorrow and he is being referred to the hospital again for his eyes as something is coming away. Coping with everything that is going on is never ending. I am still working and looking after him. He is well and doesn't look I'll, but he is often tired and doesn't like being on his own! I am moving into his house once I can get all my things moved in, so coping with that and all his appointments, working and juggling things around. Putting on a brave face and thinking ways to cheer us both up is so tiring. 

• Hi

Sorry to hear about your partner and sorry too that you did not get an earlier response. While my wife's cancer is incurable it is for the moment at least stable and so I tend towards the carers only and friends and family group rather than this one.

The putting on a brave face bit - easy to say, execution however can be rather difficult and working while running all the appointments and moving and everything else - you are being something of a miracle worker at the moment so not al al surprised about being tired.

One thing I had to learn as a carer was how to make some time for me, often when people start caring they will talk about feeling selfish for taking some time to themselves but in the long run it is vital - and my caring journey with cancer is now over 6 years long. If we look at Your feelings when someone has cancer we can see the importance of showing and sharing feelings and I know that has helped to bring my wife and I closer together than ever.

Hope some of that helps perhaps make you feel less alone.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Steve, thank you so much for your reply. I really do appreciate you getting back. I have a change of plans now as have asked Jim my guy to move in with me instead as I live in a downstairs flat, so no stairs! I cannot do stairs now as my RA plays up. He has agreed to consider moving in but we have to clear out his house and put it on the market. 
    • Yes it does help to have your own space too. I am lucky my sister lives up the road from me so I sometimes escape to hers for a break. 
    • From Carol hugs back.