My heart is Broken

• 2 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Where to begin... Although I am new to Macmillan I am not new to this horrible disease Cancer. This time it's different, my father was diagnosed with Cancer on Wedndesday, my heart is broken. I'm Tina, daughter to my amazing Dad Bill, 82 years young. Dad was diagnosed with severe emphysema (COPD) in March this year. He has lost a lot weight over the last year, lacking in appetite, having a lot of phlem etc.. His had X-rays, CT Scan and ultra scans, none of which showed signs of a cancer. A week or so ago he underwent a fluid drain on his lung, the fluid was tested and before we know it, we are told he has advanced Cancer as cancer cells were found in his fluid. Am I missing something? I'm so mad, confused, upset all sorts of emotions right now. They have said he has Cancer, they say it's advanced, they say he has 4 months possibly more, no, here is what we could or might try. How can they know all these things when they don't know where the Cancer is!!! Bearing in mind this has been told to us by his Respiratory consultant, not a oncology consultant. God I have so many things going round in my head, ifs, but’s and most of all why? My poor Dad, I feel has given up, before we went to the appointment and was told this devastating news he was a totally different person. I won't give up, I have to be strong for both my parents and me. CT scan awaits on Monday, lets see what that shows.

• Heyy  

I can tell you having been on the journey for the last year with both of my parents, that it really is the most confusing and disorienting experience, that hardly gets any clearer being perfectly honest! You’ll naturally want to search for answers. Your dad should be assigned an oncology nurse and he can give authorisation for his treatment / care to be discussed with you. Or at least, that’s been my experience. I’ve chatted on and off with the nurse who can help clarify things the doctors don’t always have the time to explain in the detail needed. 

the best advice I can give to you as someone caring for him and your mums well-being throughout this is to give yourself regular breaks to grieve - because the process of grieving starts long before we lose them. We grieve the future we should have, and it’s super difficult. So to keep your strength, you need to give yourself space, time and the permission to fall apart some times, so that you can be that supportive rock for your parents. 

your dad should also be assigned a Macmillan nurse / contact, and they are also amazing resources for support and information. I really hope you get the answers soon xx