Ideas for your checklist

• 123 replies
  • 17 subscribers

Hi all, especially anyone facing a hospital stay, 

Please feel free to add to this list! 

In hospital for a transplant you may not feel much like reading or concentrating a lot, so.....

Trashy tv, films on iPad or DVDs

Favourite music, comfy headphones

Magazines

Favourite duvets/pillows, plus plenty of changes as daily laundry will be needed

Comfy clothes, nightwear and dressing gowns/onesies, slippers

Plenty of underwear changes

Favourite hand cream/lotions bearing in mind you might not want them afterwards because of association! 

A few photos/posters to put up with blutack.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

This is so helpful thank you xx 

• Anyone who thinks of anything else, please do add! 

Just an extra, your unit will most likely have a ward kitchen, where they can microwave stuff, so tinned goods, snacks etc that you love, plus in-date micro meals/snacks, but ask your visitors to check dates and use themselves before the ward chuck them out ( as they will when they get near eat-by date) 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Don't forget laptop and phone plus CHARGERS

• Ah, yes, thank you! 

Check if there's free internet access or whether you need a dongle.

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Hi Moomy,

I've sent you a friend request, hope you don't mind, but there a few things I wanted to ask you about an allo transplant.

Thanks

Mike

• Hi

Quilted toilet roll and wet wipes.. If

You get an upset stomach you don't want to be using too much of the hospital toilet roll that's for sure!

I enjoyed boiled sweets as well. 

Take a notepad with you as questions pop into your head at odd hours and also you think of things you would like to do once you recover. Helps if you get chemo head..

Paul

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Paul1969

I completely agree on wet wipes or moist toilet roll. And - dare I say it - some teena lady briefs. It sounds awful but they saved my dignity on those few days when my tummy was really dodgy. And I didn't have to ask nurses for anything. Apparently a it's fairly common need that no one wants to talk about.

My tummy was upset most of the time so food wasn't an issue for me but the sweets suggestion is a good one. 

Entertainment wise I took audio books for the days that I felt too tired to watch tele. And I took mindfulness colouring books and needlework to distract & keep my hands busy. I crocheted a shawl.

You'll probably have Hickman line so it's helpful if you have sleep/leisure wear that buttons or opens in the front. Not essential but allows easier access.

That's all I can think of that hasn't already been said. 

Hope it helps. Dana

• As Dana says if you do get bad with your stomach the hospital will have a supply of adult sized pampers.. Better safe than sorry lol! 

Did anyone mention lip cream / moisturiser? My lips in the dry air of the room cracked continuously. 

One other thing that was useful was an extension lead so I could plug in all my bits and bobs by the bed and have them all to hand.

Paul

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• Great ideas, folk, keep them coming! 

Mikey, accepted, ask away via pm! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Paul1969

Paul: the lip cream idea is a winner!