Ideas for your checklist

• 123 replies
  • 17 subscribers

Hi all, especially anyone facing a hospital stay, 

Please feel free to add to this list! 

In hospital for a transplant you may not feel much like reading or concentrating a lot, so.....

Trashy tv, films on iPad or DVDs

Favourite music, comfy headphones

Magazines

Favourite duvets/pillows, plus plenty of changes as daily laundry will be needed

Comfy clothes, nightwear and dressing gowns/onesies, slippers

Plenty of underwear changes

Favourite hand cream/lotions bearing in mind you might not want them afterwards because of association! 

A few photos/posters to put up with blutack.

• That has made me laugh about the lip cream!! What a bunch of girls we all are lol.

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Paul1969

Nappies and extension leads! Gotcha thanks! Haha . 

Give me strength, am dreading it! 

dana, I like the colouring books idea... I have been leaning towards the idea of those lately. I am finding the iPad and Internet too inane sometimes. X

• Elena, we're trying to think of all eventualities! (Daughter was only in hospital 9 days for her auto, in isolation only 8 days, they threw her out a day after isolation finished! - yup, needed the bed) I know that was something of a record, but they really don't want you to stay in any longer than they can help.

Keeping active when you can helps loads, even just ensuring you get a daily shower! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi. As Moomy said it is good to be prepared. I did well and was out 10 days post transplant. I'm not saying it was easy or fun but I got to the other side. 

I do have a tendency to plan. I probably over planned and definitely overpacked but it in my case I had no guarantees that people would be around to run errands or do laundry etc. Friends did their best but visits weren't always possible. Many had bugs and were banned. So I planned to get through transplant and manage when I got home without much help. 

I came across a quote by Henry Ford that became my mantra during transplant "If you think you can or think you can't you're probably right." And I decided that I could and would get through it.  

Today was day 295 and counting.

Wishing you the best and hope you're weathering the chemo cycle. Dana

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

If only I'd had this list a month ago....just returned home and oooohh the unbridled pleasure of soft loo roll!! I'd add some eye covers (like you get on planes - they probably have a name but my brain is mush).

• I know this is an American list but it might just give extra ideas that we might not have considered....

www.bmtsctclub.com/.../

Moomy

• 'Bumping' for folk who might be needing helpful information and ideas to take into hospital

Hugs to all xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Thanks Moomy! This is very useful :-)

• Hi. 

Just wanted to reiterate what Moomy said about favourite lotions and deodorants etc And associating them with hospital. You may want to take a totally different brand in with you because of the association with hospital. Reminded me as today I opened a new spray deo and boom I was back 3 years and in hospital again as it was the deodorant I used then. Can't bear it now.. Straight in the bin! 

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• Bumping this for anyone facing going into hospital soon...

Moomy