SCT Rebirth Changes - Wishlist

• 3 replies
  • 10 subscribers

I am starting 3 cycles of R-ICE next week, after which I will be having an auto SCT.

I have been reading through this forum (which does not seem to suffer from overuse) and came across the suggestion that along with all the "resets" that occur when the stem cells are reintroduced I may lose my current allergy to penicillin. If that is the case then I am putting together a wishlist of other improvements that I would like.

• I will be able to sing (currently I cannot carry a tune in a bucket)
  • My skiing will be much improved as I will lose the bad habits (and fears) that I acquired when learning as an adult
  • I will be patient and tolerant with all those around me

I am sure that I will come up with other ideas over the next few weeks. Has anyone else experienced any positive outcomes after SCT?

• Hi  and a warm welcome to our little corner of the community and welcome onto the Stem Cell Transplant (SCT) Magical Mystery Tour that is SCT.

This group ebbs and flows as members come on the journey, go through the process and then move on with life....... and rightly so...... but a few of us stick around and support others on their journey.

I see from your profile you have DLBCL, I have lived with my rare type of Skin NHL for over 23 years now and you most likely have picked up that I have had 2 Allo (donour) SCTs..... you can see my long story by hitting my Community name.

SCT treats all types of blood cancers so lots of different backgrounds and stories.......... as for 'positive outcomes'......... there will be many and will be different for everyone....... But for me the main 'positive' is that it saved my life as if it had not worked I would not be here talking with you....... but I am coming up to 7 years out from my second Allo and living as good a life as any 66+ year old can be living...... yes I do have some post treatment health 'leftovers' but I have no complaints.

Good that you are making a wishlist of improvements to aim for and look for........ as for the Penicillin 'reset' this would only be due to having an Allo (donour) SCT as the bone marrow reset is done using Stem Cells coming from a donor..... in my case my brother.

You may find these links helpful as you prepare for the process

Checklist for SCT Unit

Melphalan and Ice

SCT Success Stories

and also these links from the Lymphoma Action website.

Autologous stem cell transplant

Top tips for stem cell transplants

Always around to help out and answer questions as best as I can

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• My journey has started. R-ICE cycle 1 is in progress. SCT is subject to improvement showing on PET scan after cycle 2. And bone marrow biopsy.

• Sounds like a normal salvage journey, although I had a different salvage treatment…. let’s look for this step to go well to allow you to move into the SCT process.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge