MMR VACCINE POST ALLO TRANSPLANT.

• 10 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi everyone.

Can anyone tell me if they were given the MMR VACCINE following their ALLOGENIC SCT.

My wife has had almost all her post transplant  vaccines now over the past 9months. She is scheduled for her first dose of MMR in October which will be 14 months post transplant. This is to be followed by a second dose 6 months after.

Today she had a routine blood test at our local Hospital and meeting with her consultant who treated her initially with her AML back in 2018.

We made him aware of the up and coming MMR and he seemed quite surprised she is scheduled for this as it is a live vaccine, which we thought should not be administered.

I have read that this can be done after minimum 24 months post transplant to patients that have had no gvhd and,who are not severely immunosuppressed.

My wife's bloods are all very good, she's not had any gvhd and hasn't taken any immunosuppressent drugs for 16 months.

She is a little concerned that the possible side effects of this live MMR VACCINE can be quite severe and was wondering what the risk would be if she declined the vaccine.

I would be most grateful if any of you wonderful people have been in this position.

We will of course double check with her SCT team for more advise and reassurance.

Thanks

FULHAMBOY

• Sorry meant to say her first dose will be 26 months after her SCT  Not 14 as stated in message.

• Hi  Post my second Allo SCT I was categorically told there was there was no way that I can ever have the live MMR vaccines.

I had GvHD but this had no bearing on the decision.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike

It's very concerning tbh.

The very detailed schedule my wife was given is pretty clear. It states all her vaccines and dates to be administered, all done now and even have little stickers on the page, a bit like a pet vaccine record lol.

MMR to be given at least 24 months post sct, providing no gvhd and not on any immunosuppressent drugs.

My wife is considering declining due to side effects, but also worried about the complications if she picked up Measles, mumps or rubella. She has had her shingles jabs as part of the schedule.

I think we will be advised by her team to have it which is a bit concerning as another consultant is not so sure.

Nick

• Just found out my wife is having a telephone consultation in August and then booked for a face to face in London with her team in October.

Think it best to ask on both occasions to be absolutely clear before her decition is made.

• I also had a very detailed vaccine schedule and MMR is one of the vaccines indicated at 24 and 27 Months but only if approved by the consultant and my consultant said no…… but we’ll done her getting the shingles jabs….. in Scotland you must be 70 to get it regardless SCT or not Smirk

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike

It seems to be a generic document, that exactly why we will ask the question of two different consultants from her SCT team.

Nick

• I  too have been told no MMR from the Glasgow team. However they think the non live shingles vaccine is to be apprved for transplant patoents around September time. Which is good news, I will be glad to get rid of the acyclivir!

• Hi  as you know I am under the same team at Glasgow so this is good news about the Shingles Vaccine. I have been off Acyclovir for a good few years but still have an emergency pack just in case.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• I thought you would be interested Mike. I have a face to face appt in September so will ask for more details then and report back.:)

• Oh please do, I am discharged so never see the consultants now just a phone call once a year with the Late Effects Nurse.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge